Feeling sorry for myself.

Annie56

Feb 8, 2009
Cirencester
Caring without sibling support

Both my husbands and my parents moved to the town where we live so we could care for them when they all developed degrees of dementia. My husbands sister is profoundly deaf and lacks confidence so she never felt able to come and give him a break. Sadly both his parents are now no longer with him and I can see how lost he feels since losing his dad last September. My brother started off by giving me the odd weekend, or even week's break but since losing our dad last May he has said mum should be in a home and if I won't put her in one I'm on my own, I haven't had respite since last July. Mum can walk and lives in a little bungalow round the corner from us with 4 carers during the day as I work full time and then I make her tea and toilet her, and then go back at 9 to watch a bit if TV, wash her and put her to bed. She is very content, although confused but sits watching TV all the time until someone comes. Her dementia is very different from dads Alzheimers and on good days she will comment on things, read subtitles on the TV and knows me and my grown up children when they come. I have cameras in the bedroom and lounge and can check up on her any time, and do so during the night whenever I turn over in bed. We have had several health scares in the past 9 months- broken arm, pneumonia, dvt, and a month ago a large pulmonary embolism but each time she has been discharged from hospital in no more than a week back into my care without a medic ever questioning that this is the right place for her. My brother sneaks in to see her every few weeks for an hour or 2 without telling me and has no contact with me at all except to reply to texts asking for respite by saying not until we've discussed mums future - i.e. put her in a home. He's retired so giving me a break would be easy for him if he wanted to. I'm so angry with him, I want nothing more to do with him and feel resentful that by keeping mum at home I'm saving hundreds of pounds a week which he will eventually benefit from (not that I'm doing this for that reason). My husband and children are incredibly supportive but others can't see why I don't put mum in respite for a week and go off and enjoy myself. She is with it enough to understand the change and I know she would be incredibly unhappy, having visited dad in a home for 4.5 years she hated the place and would deteriorate and find it incredibly difficult to settle back at home again. So I just keep going, knowing that I'm doing my very best for mum as I did for dad and will feel no regrets when anything happens to her. Sorry, I'm just venting off to what I know is a very supportive community who really 'gets it'!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Annie - Why are you wasting energy being angry with your brother? You can't make him do anything he doesn't want to. It's his life, his choice and his opinion. It happens not to coincide with yours. He is exercising his opinion by refusing to act as back-up to you. You are exercising your opinion by continuing to care for your mother. You cannot change any of this so to be angry about it is negatively impacting on you. Let it go imho.

Last edited:

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Annie, i too have a sister who is frankly doing nothing. She has not even answered my messages when mum was taken into hospital 5 weeks ago, and has not so far visited mum. Anger towards her would simply hurt me as she is not in my life. She has hurt enough and i refuse to allow her to influence my feelings. I am doing what i can and want to, and i need to know my mum is cared fir and ok. Would it be great to share this? Absolutely but its never going to happen. Accept and move on. Does your mum need an angry person in her life? You need to make your peace with yourself.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Can totally empathise Annie, I have a similar situation. And to simply accept it and move on? You people are clearly better people than I am! If I am wasting energy being angry and bitter then so be it, I do not have an ounce of help from any family at all, I'm not lucky enough to have a spouse or children to lean on.

Annie, rant away x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

candiedsonia

Jul 13, 2012
Watford
Also Feeling sorry for myself

Your all so right.
I battle to keep mum's weight up and she just had chest infection and lost 1stone in a week. She lived on her own with the dog and cat. I spend all day with her Saturday and Sunday and visit after work 2 nights a week to make sure she eats.
My Brother has started taking her to a cafe 4 lunch times a week. But he just leaves her at the door afterwards
I try and explain to him he needs to come into the house and check around. But he doesn't see it. His project is to just feed her up, not spend time and make sure she is well.

The cough came on really quickly as I was with her on Sunday and by Monday afternoon she was bad with temperature.
When I got antibiotics and steriods, he comments on how she wasn't well that morning when he visited, wouldn't eat anything and said she felt sick. His partner told him she was faking. They really don't get it at all.

Mum says they just dump and run with her, she isn't stupid everything goes in just has trouble coming out (you all know what I mean).

Being ill and losing that weight has made her dementia worse. I feel like driving my lorry of the viaduct on the A10 sometimes (I never would), but you want to escape.

Freinds and others always say look after yourself, but you can't stop thinking what needs, doing what to do for best, how to entertain her and make her laugh.

Just a rant as feeling sorry for myself........................

:(

#myfunmum on twitter, will only put the FUN/Hopefull stuff on there.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Feel free to rant. When you love someone with dementia its a life of worry and wondering. Im sorry i cant say anything that helps but rant away if it helos you. We are all here lustening and understanding. You are doing a great job. Your love shines through.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Some people can do this - some cant.........

If as a carer you need to filter out the anger/stress/hopelessness on to someone else its understandable - it needs to go somewhere

its hard enough being alone with this for weeks/months at a time without finding some outlet for the sheer hopelessness of it all

Some people can do this - some cant.......