Feeling positive

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Today I attended a Carers' Conference in my borough. It lasted 10am-3pm and I feel totally exhausted - but so much more positive.

It was a fantastic opportunity to join with other carers, help shape local services - and more importantly, find out about all the support groups, social activities and services available to both of us.

I hadn't realised, for example, that I am allowed to access a range of groups and services in neighbouring boroughs, I always thought they were funded for residents in that particular borough. This alone means that there are now another three memory cafes on different days of the week available so I am no longer restricted to one a month which I can rarely attend anyway.

I even found a possible lunch club for my husband, and although I won't be able to attend it regularly myself due to work commitments, I am confident that we'll find a befriender who can take my husband there :)

I also now have a clearer idea of how to access services and the range of help available. I was surprised to learn that many of these can be done by self-referral rather than having to wait to be referred by professionals.

Much of my ignorance was down to the fact that we are not known about because we do not currently use council services to manage care needs. Everything we do, whether day centre attendance, memory cafes or peer support groups, is in place because I have found them and we finance attendance ourselves.

All that's about to change in a couple of weeks though, because they are setting up a Carers' well being hub which welcomes, supports and signposts carers whether or not they qualify for any Council care services yet.

While I was at the conference I signed up to a scheme offering free swimming to carers of someone with dementia, plus discounts on a wide range of activities at leisure centres. The leisure centres will also be running activities for people with dementia which means I should be able to do my activities while my husband does his :)

I feel like life is going to get a lot better for both of us rather than the usual routine of just trying to juggle work and caring responsibilities :)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Today I attended a Carers' Conference in my borough. It lasted 10am-3pm and I feel totally exhausted - but so much more positive.

It was a fantastic opportunity to join with other carers, help shape local services - and more importantly, find out about all the support groups, social activities and services available to both of us.

I hadn't realised, for example, that I am allowed to access a range of groups and services in neighbouring boroughs, I always thought they were funded for residents in that particular borough. This alone means that there are now another three memory cafes on different days of the week available so I am no longer restricted to one a month which I can rarely attend anyway.

I even found a possible lunch club for my husband, and although I won't be able to attend it regularly myself due to work commitments, I am confident that we'll find a befriender who can take my husband there :)

I also now have a clearer idea of how to access services and the range of help available. I was surprised to learn that many of these can be done by self-referral rather than having to wait to be referred by professionals.

Much of my ignorance was down to the fact that we are not known about because we do not currently use council services to manage care needs. Everything we do, whether day centre attendance, memory cafes or peer support groups, is in place because I have found them and we finance attendance ourselves.

All that's about to change in a couple of weeks though, because they are setting up a Carers' well being hub which welcomes, supports and signposts carers whether or not they qualify for any Council care services yet.

While I was at the conference I signed up to a scheme offering free swimming to carers of someone with dementia, plus discounts on a wide range of activities at leisure centres. The leisure centres will also be running activities for people with dementia which means I should be able to do my activities while my husband does his :)

I feel like life is going to get a lot better for both of us rather than the usual routine of just trying to juggle work and caring responsibilities :)[/QUOTE

Hi Lynne

I was very nice to read you are feeling much more positive, after attending the Carers Conference. They have vast amounts of information for helping carers, unfortunately, many are not aware of what is out there.

I receive a booklet every month from my local Council, and similar to your advice, they list available trips, massages, reflexology,dinners out with other carers, etc. I have a Carer's registration Card, which I carry in my purse. If I had an accident, or was unwell when out, someone can contact the Council. They will get in touch with my named people, who can then go to my husband without delay. You may already have one of these cards.

I hope this opens a new and happier future for both you and your husband. M xxx :)

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
....I have a Carer's registration Card, which I carry in my purse. If I had an accident, or was unwell when out, someone can contact the Council. They will get in touch with my named people, who can then go to my husband without delay. You may already have one of these cards.

Hi Mal

That is exactly one of the points I raised at the conference! I had approached two carer organisations during one of the networking sessions on the day and explained my concern about not being registered as a carer in the eyes of the council - and the worry I had if something happened to me, because there was nothing to automatically flag up to the authorities that my husband would need help or who to contact.

I was told by one that this issue was often raised but currently there was no Carer's register run by the Council.

Anyway, I raised the matter again during the Q&A session and it looks like the carer's registration card approach will be adopted.

It was definitely worth attending. So many carers came away feeling like they'd actually been listened to :)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi Mal

That is exactly one of the points I raised at the conference! I had approached two carer organisations during one of the networking sessions on the day and explained my concern about not being registered as a carer in the eyes of the council - and the worry I had if something happened to me, because there was nothing to automatically flag up to the authorities that my husband would need help or who to contact.

I was told by one that this issue was often raised but currently there was no Carer's register run by the Council.

Anyway, I raised the matter again during the Q&A session and it looks like the carer's registration card approach will be adopted.

It was definitely worth attending. So many carers came away feeling like they'd actually been listened to :)

Hi Lynne

I am surprised not all Council's have Carer's registration cards. Good that you brought it up at the meeting and they are looking into to it.

You will also find answers to many of your questions, here on TP. Through members own experiences. Look at the daily threads. I look to see what is on each day. I have about 5 that I keep in my 'favourites' list, (that star thing top right of the page) just in case I forget the different ones I have made comments on. ( Positives for eg, I go to everyday, we do sometimes have serious moments, but, it is where we can go to have a bit of 'me time', support and a laugh, you will be made welcome, should you wish to visit).

Have a good day. M xxx :)