Feeling Numb

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I haven't posted for a wee while as things were manageable with the extra carers support given for my husband. But since last month my husbands health began to downhill a bit, 2 utis and a chest infection. It seemed like he was on constant antibiotics. On 4th November he really seemed bad so I called the doc My husband was admitted hosp that same day. Routine Covid test done - result positive. He was put on iv antibiotics and also needed oxygen. Further blood tests were done a few days later which showed inflammation and he was started on that strong steroid 'DEXAMETHASONE' for 5 days treatment. This was really making an improvement, so much so, that he managed to slowly come off the oxygen and plans were made to transfer him to a nursing home to convalese, build up his appetite, get physio to help his swallow etc. Then the day before this was due to happen, I got a dreadful phone call to say he'd deteriated suddenly. The docs suspected that my husband had developed a massive clot on his lung. They were giving him the max amount of oxygen that they could and he was back on iv fluids. This awful thing happened just last Friday(20th) He's too weak for any invasive treatments, his breathing is so laboured. My girls and I are allowed to visit him at any time now, and I'm sure he knows we are there even tho he can't open his eyes or anything. We just constantly talk to him. I never ever thought that I would be saying goodbye so soon. As I said I just feel so numb, like this is not really happening xx Wee Dido

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh I’m so sorry to read your update. What an awful situation for you all. No wonder you feel numb.

I’m so glad you shared here and I hope that helps a little.

Thinking of you all and wishing you strength - and wishing your husband peace.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
Oh I’m so sorry to read your update. What an awful situation for you all. No wonder you feel numb.

I’m so glad you shared here and I hope that helps a little.

Thinking of you all and wishing you strength - and wishing your husband peace.
@Izzy thanks so much My poor Oh he's only 71 too young to be taken yet, we have 3 young grandchildren (5 yrs and younger) who he'll never see again. I know that he's been physicaly weak for years , due to his stroke, but his dementia was just about mid stage I'd say. Perhaps its a blessing in disguise that now he's spared further suffering from THAT. We're just taking each day and spending as much time as possible with him. so thanks again.x

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh @WeeDido i am sorry too . Glad you have this time to spend with him and say the things you want but it is so cruel and so hard . Sending you strength and hugs .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @WeeDido

What an emotional roller coaster. Im not surprised that you feel numb.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It is frightening how quickly things can change @WeeDido - and it's fully understandable that you have been left feeling numb by the shock of it all. I wish you and your family strength at such a traumatic time. Keep posting when you are able to - we are here for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so soory to read your news @WeeDido

In dementia there is often a gentle progression but when an infection attacks, even the mildest infection, never mind COVID, there can be a reaction which seems out of all proportion

It`s so sad for you to witness and to experience. I just hope there is some way his laboured breathing can be eased.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour