Feeling lost

Zen master

Dec 17, 2016
Hi, after 3 years fighting the inevitable side by side with my Mum. Life has took a turn that I wasn’t expecting. My mother collapsed and died suddenly a few weeks ago in the Care Home that she had started to settle in. After a couple of years of total chaos managing at home with various day care and agency support then the use of the mental health act things had started to be better.
The last 6 months has seen a settled period, being taken out loads, improved personal relationships due to the pressures of home being removed.

Then an out of character fall and a broken and replaced hip. Back at the Care Home and improving her mobility then a pulmonary embolism and gone.

In some ways I’m relieved that Mum still knew me and her grandchildren rather than past this point but I’m devastated. When the call came I just knew what it was due to the time of evening. I managed to get there and hold her hand at the last moments but it was so traumatic I’m going over and over what I witnessed. As Mum was pretty fit there was no DNAR in place although she’d always said she didn’t want messing around with. Therefore paramedics in attendance had no choice but to attempt to revive. They were doing their job and I admire them but I couldn’t leave and now can’t shift the vision from my mind.
I work in health yet missed this. Due to the operation on hip and the cause being linked there is also an inquest to be had.
I haven’t been able to return to work yet as it’s so similar to what I do that it’s just to difficult for me. Trying to be busy but it’s constantly on my mind, invading my attempts at sleep, dominating my conversations.
Unsurprisingly the people that ran a mile during the hardest of times now have opinions and enquiries, mostly financially related.

Not asking anything other than getting it off my chest.

Last edited:

Lovely day

Apr 25, 2016
Mount Vermont, Glasgow
My mum died 2 years at the end of this month, I’m hoping to volunteer for Alzheimers Scotland. There office is next to sheriff court, at Howard st. I’m still lost, I hope you’re not an only child as I am, a brother or sister or inlaws would have helped. My mum only got me and daughter as visitor. I put my name down for bereavement councilling months ago and I’m still waiting. Mothers 2 sisters didn’t visit her over the years. It has not got easier perhaps cause I live alone, I hope you don’t and the simpathyand visits stopped after the funeral. It’s like you’re abandoned, my dad died seventeen months before it. I can only think that if you’re family are supportive that will help. Mine were not, daughter moved out 3 weeks later. Had to plan and do things by myself. I just hope you’ve close family around you for a long time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Zen master
sad news - my condolences on your loss
it will take time to settle to this next stage in your life; definitely keep posting here if it helps
might you also contact CRUSE
https://www.cruse.org.uk/

as for those who are kept their distance but are now making their presence felt - I'd be tempted to shoot from the hip, as long as that wouldn't cause you more distress

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Very sorry to read of your sad loss @Zen master, It must have been horrible seeing the paramedics working.

I can relate to the suddenness of your loss, and the feeling sad that it had been going so well beforehand - my mother was in a home for the last year of her life and was mostly settled and content - then on her 97th birthday, after a fab morning and afternoon when we visited and gave her presents, she went downhill and within two days was admitted to hospital with pneumonia - she rallied, was put on a thickened-fluid diet, wouldn't eat, was sent back to the nursing home, and within two and a half weeks of her birthday, she had died.

No wonder you feel so shocked and upset, when your work is in the same line of country. I am sure everyone on TP will give you what support they can.
Please accept my sympathy for your sad and sudden loss, and my best wishes for you, to get through this to acceptance and some solace. It sounds as if you had done your very best, and then it was all snatched away. xx

Last edited by a moderator: