Feeling Isolated

Kate Kitkat

Nov 22, 2020
Hi!
My story begins on Nov.5th.

Dad (who has lived independently) had a fall and spent all night on landing
My sister, husband and I rushed to his aid and he was taken to A&E but discharged later that day.
The plan was for me to stay 2 nights and my sister 2 nights. Contacted Social Services who put an Emergency Care Order in place i.e. carers calling x4 per day.

Nov. 7th we were informed he was Covid Positive. So, we all had to self-isolate in separate houses (me with dad!)
Nov 9th : Met online with Consultant following CT scan in September.
Dad diagnosed with Alzheimers, Vascular dementia and maybe Lewy Body (consultant needs to see Dad in person to diagnose this!)

Dad has had numerous falls at night and convulsions. GP & diabetic nurse helpful and made changes to his medication and insulin. Dad now sleeping better and no falls for a week. Carer only comes in morning to help with showering. I tested Covid positive last Saturday!

Dad has changed overnight! He goes to bed at 8pm (it's a struggle to keep him up from 6pm!) and sleeps til at least 8.30am (NOT dad at all!) It takes him ages to get out of bed and needs step by step prompting e.g. to shower and get dressed. He has only made himself two cups of tea since I have been here and left the tea bag in both times. How can he have deteriorated so quickly?

My family and I all live close and see dad at least once a week. Unsure of what the future holds. I feel isolated from family and friends. Have not been at work since Nov 4th and can't even remember my 'old' life.

Sorry, need to vent!

Kind regards to you all,
Kate

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Kate Kitkat.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad and the situation you and your family find yourselves in. These are hard times, as you know, but I wondered if it would be possible to have your dad’s care need re-assessed by the Social Work Department. It certainly sounds as if the care package needs to be increased, at the very least.

You might find it helpful to have a talk with an Admiral Nurse. You can phone or email them and I know that they are highly regarded. The details are here -

I’m so glad you have found this forum. You’ll get lots of help and support here.

Gwendoline999

Nov 10, 2020
Hi what a challenging time for you and your family. It is important to remember that you are not alone.
I am not a medic but have experience of this with my Father who was diagnosed with Parkinson and Lewy Body in 2015.
My personal experience is it all about the medication. The type of medication and the dosage. It is such a fine line to get the balance right and you will need a doctor who is fully aware of your Dad, his capabilities and where is 'normal base line is'. My experience of this was not good but with constant badgering his drugs were changed/dosage increased or decreased and the result was a marked improvement. Don't give up x

Kate Kitkat

Nov 22, 2020
Hi what a challenging time for you and your family. It is important to remember that you are not alone.
I am not a medic but have experience of this with my Father who was diagnosed with Parkinson and Lewy Body in 2015.
My personal experience is it all about the medication. The type of medication and the dosage. It is such a fine line to get the balance right and you will need a doctor who is fully aware of your Dad, his capabilities and where is 'normal base line is'. My experience of this was not good but with constant badgering his drugs were changed/dosage increased or decreased and the result was a marked improvement. Don't give up x

Thank you, Gwendoline.
As it's all so new and dad has only had a 'virtual' chat with the Consultant, my head is spinning. I know the road is long and winding. He is 75 years young and was running 10k six years ago! Can't believe the rapid change!!
I think I'll settle and watch a Christmas film ... now that he's sleeping (AGAIN!) in front of the footy!
Kate xx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
If your Dad has Covid 19 that may also be causing his tiredness. Symptoms develop over several days so keep a close eye on him.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had covid earlier in the year and the fatigue is unbelievable. Several months later I still often nap in the afternoon.

I have noticed that several people on here have reported a huge downturn in dementia symptoms after covid.

Kate Kitkat

Nov 22, 2020
I had covid earlier in the year and the fatigue is unbelievable. Several months later I still often nap in the afternoon.

I have noticed that several people on here have reported a huge downturn in dementia symptoms after covid.
Thank you for your reply.