1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. magic800

magic800 Registered User

Dec 11, 2014
    My aunt has spent just one week in a care home, Monday morning I had the phone call to say that she had passed away in her sleep. I am grateful that she had such wonderful care for the last week of her life but I wasn't expecting it to happen just yet. I never got the chance to take in her personal belongings. I visited Friday and left her sitting in front of the tv, we had had a lovely visit sitting in the garden so she could have a cigarette. I had planned to visit again after work on Monday to take in some photographs. Now I have to empty her home and make all the arrangements it doesn't feel real.

2. Feline

Feline Registered User

Oct 25, 2012
    East Devon
    Sorry you have had such a shock, but what a lovely way for her to go. I hope you find strength to do all the practical things that need to be done immediately. Take care of yourself while sorting all of this out. Will be thinking of you.

3. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    So sorry for the loss of your dear aunt.

4. Demonica66

Demonica66 Registered User

Oct 23, 2014
    Hi Magic800, so sorry to hear of the sudden passing of your Aunt, but she went knowing that she was loved by you and that's worth more than any personal belongings. Her time spent with you was good time; sitting in the garden, watching TV, etc. Sadly, you were not ready to see your Aunt go, but your Aunt was ready. It's always heartbreaking for the people left behind but your Aunt has had a release, happy in the knowledge that she was loved. Nothing else really matters. You did your best by her. Celebrate her life and cherish those times. My thoughts are with you. D x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Please accept my condolences. Your Aunt sounds as though she was ready to go-but I'm sorry that it has been such a shock for you. I hope in time the good memories will come flooding back

Love

Lyn T XX

6. magic800

magic800 Registered User

Dec 11, 2014
    Thank you for your comments, I know that she is no longer in pain and re united with the family members she kept searching for in her final weeks. I agree with you all I think she felt safe and ready to leave us and I am so grateful for that she slipped away in her sleep. Funeral is on Wednesday just need to get through the day.