• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Feeling guilty...

RKelley

May 14, 2015
For about 18 months Dad's had memory problems (alongside some other medical issues) & it became something we could no longer ignore. A CT scan revealed narrow vessel brain disease & vascular dementia.
I feel helpless. I can't even begin to imagine how he's feeling. We've never been a family that have discussed feelings & now I'm beginning to feel like it could be too late.
Dad's started the PoA process & the necessity side of things while he still has capacity.
I feel so guilty, worrying about my own emotions. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach him? I live away & we've only discussed his diagnosis over the phone. Tomorrow is the first time I'll see him & I don't want to distress him by saying the wrong thing or crying.
Any ideas on an ice breaker?

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Sounds rk no welcome to TP I can only say play it by ear if he broaches subject then talk take one step at a time he may be feeling the same

RKelley

May 14, 2015
It's like the elephant in the room... All I've done is cry without warning!
I don't want to make things worse but in another breath I don't want him to feel like he can't talk about it

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Greet like you usually do ?
For me it'd be a big smile and a hug , then change tack...put the kettle on?

RKelley

May 14, 2015
Thank you. We're meeting at a football game.
Hoping it goes ok. Just very scared of what's to come.
Thank you everyone xxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
You'll be ok, plenty distraction there! Just wear your 'I'm positive I'm fine head' tomorrow, we are with you x