Feeling guilty for shouting at my husband

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
I know exactly what you mean, we just can’t accept that they’re not still in there somewhere! xx
It can be so frustrating at times and it's only natural to suddenly snap when the annoying things are going on 24/7. I try to leave the room, if he says something that really upsets me I will just walk away to another room for about 10 mins. Hubby is in hospital at moment after lots falls in one day, I visit him everyday and hes really grumpy, downright nasty, says horribly things to me, so I will walk off the ward, for 15 mins , go to cafe and have coffee, scream to myself in my head, then calmly walk back to see him on ward, hes normally calmed by then for about 10 mins anyway.

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
It can be so frustrating at times and it's only natural to suddenly snap when the annoying things are going on 24/7. I try to leave the room, if he says something that really upsets me I will just walk away to another room for about 10 mins. Hubby is in hospital at moment after lots falls in one day, I visit him everyday and hes really grumpy, downright nasty, says horribly things to me, so I will walk off the ward, for 15 mins , go to cafe and have coffee, scream to myself in my head, then calmly walk back to see him on ward, hes normally calmed by then for about 10 mins anyway.
That’s what I mean about hoping I have the strength to be able to cope with that, I feel as though I’m about at my limit now, I do admire you so much.xx
Thank you everyone. Its nice to know I am not alone. Good night to you all xx
Night night xxx

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
Don’t feel bad Larker, I’ve come so close to loosing it today, I’ve managed to keep a lid on it (up to now anyway!) but I too have been feeling really down just lately, I think it’s this following me around everywhere, it’s as if he thinks I’ll disappear if he takes his eyes off me! He’s sat next to me on the bed as I type this, he thinks I’m on the tropical fish forum, thank goodness he can’t work my phone!:eek: xx
Hi Fishgirl. We seem to have a lot in common. My husband thinks we live with other people. If he is alone somewhere he asks where the other people are. I tried to do 30 minutes cleaning upstairs the other day. When I came down, he asked if had seen J (my name) anywhere as he hadn't seen her for a while.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
I can't believe you're not talking about me and my OH Larker... It mirrors our life exactly... Bedroom full of people at 1..30 this morning... And me nowhere to be found... Where was I he asked.... Parallel universe..... Unbelievable!!!!!!!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
It's also important to acknowledge that what many carers are attempting to do is right at the edge of human capability.QUOTE]

I agree. Rather than berate ourselves for losing it now and again, we should give ourselves a pat on the back for all the good things we have done as carers. I have some regrets about getting frustrated and cross with mum on a few occasions. Since she died, I have sometimes dwelled on this, but I try to balance it with the three years of care I gave her during an extremely difficult time, and the good stuff I did far outweighs the few times I lost it. If I am ever 'called to account' by some higher being, I already have my defence ready - you gave me something which was impossible for one person to deal with. If that turns out to be not good enough, then I'll have too face the consequences.

I've tried to amend the above, but can't remove my words from linking to the original poster!

Last edited:

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
I can't believe you're not talking about me and my OH Larker... It mirrors our life exactly... Bedroom full of people at 1..30 this morning... And me nowhere to be found... Where was I he asked.... Parallel universe..... Unbelievable!!!!!!!
Oh Linton. Thank you. Sometimes it feels a very lonely place until you hear of someone in that same place. We do have lots of laughs normally but this week I am down which limits the laughs. I will 'rise again'.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
I'm sure you will.. It helps so much to feel others are going through the same... And coping with all it throws at us... 'Keep going girl' xxxx

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Hi Fishgirl. We seem to have a lot in common. My husband thinks we live with other people. If he is alone somewhere he asks where the other people are. I tried to do 30 minutes cleaning upstairs the other day. When I came down, he asked if had seen J (my name) anywhere as he hadn't seen her for a while.

LOL yours sounds very much at the same stage as mine, thinking there are other ppl in the house, especially at night, two nights ago I has to make a fake phone call to myself ( to say J wasn't 'missing).

He has gone for a weeks respite today - unbroken sleep for me I hope!!! Plus a weekend visit to DD2.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
I still find the need to tell him my problems. I start to talk, and I might get two or three words out and then I stop as I realise it's pointless as he won't understand me. He doesn't even realise I was talking, he's so far into his own world.
Jenniferjen that's exactly me, somedays without thinking I'll start talking to hubby about something I know will interest him, OR would have done last year, then realise hes not understanding anything I'm saying, so I stop mid sentence and he hasn't even noticed I was talking to him.Yes it's very lonely with mo conversation, another time is when were watching TV and I start to remark on a program were watching which I do all the time and then realise hes watching tv but cant follow it or understand it, everything he tries to watch he says " Load of Rubish or
" Its a Repeat " even if hes watching the news

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
That’s what I mean about hoping I have the strength to be able to cope with that, I feel as though I’m about at my limit now, I do admire you so much.xx
Night night xxx
Fishgirl, next time you feel like shouting and I'm sure we all do everyday, if Oh has said something nasty or done something REALLY annoying, just look at him for a couple seconds to get eye contact, smile and the walk away to another room the kitchen or bathroom for just 5 mins or 10, depending how mad you feel and then calmly walk back, OH would have forgotten and you would have had breathing space.Take care of YOURSELF

AliceA

May 27, 2016
This is the saddest thread, I feel for you all. Enough sleep helps. But the loneliness of having a solid person there but to find it is only a shadow is so heart breaking.
We all have our trigger points, some cannot walk away. We cannot leave a person for safety reasons.
Please be kind to yourselves, remember only a sadist would choose to answer an advert to do this job 24/7 unaided.

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
Fishgirl, next time you feel like shouting and I'm sure we all do everyday, if Oh has said something nasty or done something REALLY annoying, just look at him for a couple seconds to get eye contact, smile and the walk away to another room the kitchen or bathroom for just 5 mins or 10, depending how mad you feel and then calmly walk back, OH would have forgotten and you would have had breathing space.Take care of YOURSELF
Hi pevencey, because he has to follow me from room to room, I would have to literally lock him out to do that! :rolleyes:I used to love having a bath in the evening, candles, bubbles even a glass of wine if I could sneak it up there,just a simple thing (that normal people take for granted) but now after 5 minutes, he’s banging on the door saying he’s desperate for the loo!
So even that has been taken away. :( x

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
Hubby was just looking out of the window ( he’s obsessed with the weather) and he said, hmmm I think it’s going to be one those days today, when you can’t tell what it’s going to be like! I just smiled to myself and said, yes I suppose it is.:rolleyes:x

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
This is the saddest thread, I feel for you all. Enough sleep helps. But the loneliness of having a solid person there but to find it is only a shadow is so heart breaking.
We all have our trigger points, some cannot walk away. We cannot leave a person for safety reasons.
Please be kind to yourselves, remember only a sadist would choose to answer an advert to do this job 24/7 unaided.
Hi pevencey, because he has to follow me from room to room, I would have to literally lock him out to do that! :rolleyes:I used to love having a bath in the evening, candles, bubbles even a glass of wine if I could sneak it up there,just a simple thing (that normal people take for granted) but now after 5 minutes, he’s banging on the door saying he’s desperate for the loo!
So even that has been taken away. :( x
Oh dear, Fishgirl, that WOULD make walking away from the situation nigh impossible you must REALLY miss your relaxing bathtime, it's just another stress level for you, my hubby's mobility is so bad now that the only plus side to it is that he cant follow me around, he used to though.Take care look after YOURSELF

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Jenniferjen that's exactly me, somedays without thinking I'll start talking to hubby about something I know will interest him, OR would have done last year, then realise hes not understanding anything I'm saying, so I stop mid sentence and he hasn't even noticed I was talking to him.Yes it's very lonely with mo conversation, another time is when were watching TV and I start to remark on a program were watching which I do all the time and then realise hes watching tv but cant follow it or understand it, everything he tries to watch he says " Load of Rubish or
" Its a Repeat " even if hes watching the news
Hi Pevensey - my partner seems to be at a similar stage - he says exactly the same things when 'watching' TV! Makes me laugh because if there's a travel programme on TV it's always a place he's been to! Even if we go and see a film at the cinema he's always seen it before! We'd have discussed the TV programme and all the political stuff that's going on but now he's got no idea and trying to comment on anything on TV is pointless - it's all so sad isn't it. He's got no interest in anything much though, just waits for me to take him out somewhere. He's still fairly mobile and doesn't follow me around all the time but he does do a lot of wandering aimlessly around the house. Sometimes he'll use my name but talking of someone else, as though he's forgotten who I am that's weird and quite disturbing really. It seems there is a similar route, though not exactly the same, they (and therefore we) will follow.