feeling dizzy

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello my husband has vascular dementia and has being feeling dizzy for a while he has tablets for it which are the only ones for dizziness. this has quite quickly got worse to a point when he stands up he feels like falling and when he lays down in bed he feels he is falling through a black hole. he keeps saying it started with his mini stroke but im not sure. he getting really anxious about all day as to what he going to be like when he lays down in bed. i stayed with him until he laid down last night. he has spoken to gp and there isnt anything else they can give him. he has got worse and im wondering is this part of the dementia getting worse or another symptom of something else. as anyone else experienced this?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
hello my husband has vascular dementia and has being feeling dizzy for a while he has tablets for it which are the only ones for dizziness. this has quite quickly got worse to a point when he stands up he feels like falling and when he lays down in bed he feels he is falling through a black hole. he keeps saying it started with his mini stroke but im not sure. he getting really anxious about all day as to what he going to be like when he lays down in bed. i stayed with him until he laid down last night. he has spoken to gp and there isnt anything else they can give him. he has got worse and im wondering is this part of the dementia getting worse or another symptom of something else. as anyone else experienced this?
Hi. My dad had this. He has VD. Dad used to lie down until it went. But just to be sure I would let the doctor know. Dad also has tablets.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother who has vascular dementia had occasional bouts of this, but it passed off and it didn't seem to impact on her as much as it appears to be on your husband @jennifer1967 . I think it would be worth getting it checked out just in case it is something else, but I guess it depends on how easy it is to get your husband to engage with the doctor.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My mother who has vascular dementia had occasional bouts of this, but it passed off and it didn't seem to impact on her as much as it appears to be on your husband @jennifer1967 . I think it would be worth getting it checked out just in case it is something else, but I guess it depends on how easy it is to get your husband to engage with the doctor.
he has talked the doctor last week and she said give it 2 weeks and see if it settles if not phone back and they might have to get him in and check him. it could be ears anything to send him off balance he has copd as well so i dont know if thats affecting it like oxygen levels but i just wondered. i suppose he could be his raised anxiety levels because of it and its a vicious circle.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Has his blood pressure and heart rate been checked or monitored recently? He may have low blood pressure which can cause postural hypotension which is dizziness/fainting when standing up or moving position: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/low-blood-pressure-hypotension/

As above, it's worth getting the symptoms checked out by the GP if you can.
we did phone gp and they said to wait and see for 2wks then phone again they might need to see him hes is so anxious with it that im wondering if its feeding off of his anxiety and making it worse. i sat with him loast night as he laid down and he felt better for it. i have a separate room and bed. he does sundowning in the evenings where he gets very restless and walks or cant settle.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm not a medical professional but I was wondering about Meunier's disease. A friend of mine has that, and extreme dizziness was one of the symptoms. Certainly think you need to contact GP sooner rather than later if it carries on.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
when he stands up he feels like falling and when he lays down in bed he feels he is falling through a black hole.

Have you considered >>>BPPV<<<
From 'show full article' link

"Your family doctor may suspect BPPV from the symptoms you are describing, since it is very commonly triggered by things like rolling over in bed, getting in and out of bed, tipping the head to look upward, bending over, and quick head movements."

Ask his GP, there are simple exercises to reset the crystals

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is also a post viral vertigo which has affected me at times, even when I haven`t known I had a viral infection.

I identified immediately with your husband`s symptoms @jennifer1967. If it is vertigo, his doctor may prescribe anti sickness medication which would help.

As you see, this could have all manner of causes so medical advice is the best bet. I wouldn`t be happy to wait two weeks if treatment now could help.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
There is also a post viral vertigo which has affected me at times, even when I haven`t known I had a viral infection.

I identified immediately with your husband`s symptoms @jennifer1967. If it is vertigo, his doctor may prescribe anti sickness medication which would help.

As you see, this could have all manner of causes so medical advice is the best bet. I wouldn`t be happy to wait two weeks if treatment now could help.
thankyou so much just read out the symptoms and my husband says thats exactly how he feels. he went to bed early one night as he said his stomach was churning but got up next morning fine. i have given him an anti sickness tablet and it seems to help so need to get back to the gps tomorrow so thanks again jenny

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Have you considered >>>BPPV<<<
From 'show full article' link

"Your family doctor may suspect BPPV from the symptoms you are describing, since it is very commonly triggered by things like rolling over in bed, getting in and out of bed, tipping the head to look upward, bending over, and quick head movements."

Ask his GP, there are simple exercises to reset the crystals
thanks nitram he thinks that this might the solution. getting in touch with gp tomorrow

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
finally himself has spoken to the doctors and she thinks it may well be an inner ear problem and there are exercises and shes seeing him on monday. had to nag him. he is capable of talking to the doctor and phoning and while he is still capable of things then he does them. promoting independence. use or lose theory

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
well hes been to see the nurse bp checked general mot, told to stop eating all those cornish pasties belly a bit big but you cant take the devon out of the man. he was born and raised there and to be honest its his home although he dont live there.treat only. the award for the right answer goes to nitram it is BPPV. basically crystals in the inner ear causing vertigo. he now has exercises to do while im there for position of head. oh joy!!!add it to the list

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
well hes been to see the nurse bp checked general mot, told to stop eating all those cornish pasties belly a bit big but you cant take the devon out of the man. he was born and raised there and to be honest its his home although he dont live there.treat only. the award for the right answer goes to nitram it is BPPV. basically crystals in the inner ear causing vertigo. he now has exercises to do while im there for position of head. oh joy!!!add it to the list
Just wanted to say well done to
@nitram!
Good call !

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
what are the exercises?
see Cornish pasty and shake head from side to side ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
when he lays down in bed he feels he is falling through a black hole.
This was the give away, especially if he lies on the side of his head from a sitting position, which side can give a clue as to which ear, it can be both.

what are the exercises?

The Epley Manoeuver https://www.healthline.com/health/epley-maneuver .
There are others.

I did not post the exercises as I did not want @jennifer1967 's husband trying them by himself, feeling dizzy and falling off the bed.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
This was the give away, especially if he lies on the side of his head from a sitting position, which side can give a clue as to which ear, it can be both.

There are others.

I did not post the exercises as I did not want @jennifer1967 's husband trying them by himself, feeling dizzy and falling off the bed.
Good call !
my Cornish pasty comment didn’t really require an answer!
I just threw it in as @jennifer1967 posted a comment the other day that was so much funnier than mine!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
what are the exercises?
see Cornish pasty and shake head from side to side ?
better than in the mouth, the nurse said i didnt go with him but have exercises printed out and i have to be there to make sure he doesnt fall cornish pasty was the first thing he remembered.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton

There are others.

thankyou nitram got exercises printed off and start tomorrow with me there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elbazcat