feeling deviouse

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
This morning I have taken my dads keys from his moblity scooter and I feel horrible don't know any other way of keeping the risk if him hurting himself or somebody else he wont know untill he comes back from his weekly visit to day centre don't know what else I can do

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Dreadful, the way thinks like keys keep getting lost, isn't it? Sometimes you never find them again. ;)
Hard thing to have to do, but needs must, if your dad can't make the decision for his own or other people's safety.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Well done - it is hard.

I removed and hid my mum's car keys, and refused to tell my OH or kids where they were so they couldn't be tricked into getting something out of the car for her. Once in her sheltered extra care flat she asked about a mobility scooter, but for the same reasons she wasn't safe to drive I didn't feel she would be safe.

In fact I felt she would be more likely to injure someone than driving as she had lost spatial awareness and the ability to 'see' what she wasn't expecting, so might be on pavement and run over a child or would cross road without seeing a lorry bearing down.

She was also no longer safe to cross busy roads on foot. Spatial awareness and inability to 'see' despite passing an eye test are not apparent to others either, who think the person appears OK.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have you also contacted the place that supplied/maintains the scooter and told them of the situation? He could well be extremely resourceful in contacting them to supply new keys or fit a new lock.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
or can you remove the scooter to your garage or someone elses and tell him it has gone for repair?

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
Thankyou everyone just disconnected the battery seemed kinder for it to "breakdown"and tomorrow we off out for our weekly day trip think I will spoil dad (feeling guilty)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I understand why you feel so bad about this, it goes against every natural instinct :( You are doing the right thing for the right reasons, try to hold onto that.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Isn't it an nuisance when keys get lost or scooters breakdown?!! You are doing the correct thing, fair dues.

Aisling