Feeling cold

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
My husband, who has VaD, has started saying it is cold a lot of the time, even in hot weather. He is very unkeen about having the window open at night in the bedroom, yet has night sweats. It is as if his thermostat is out of order.

This is becoming a bit of a sore point, as I am not keen on spending night in bedroom with sealed up windows with someone who sweats so much. He has always had an appalling sense of smell, so is unaware of any personal freshness problem, and gets irritable when I complain.

Is this anything to do with his condition, or entirely separate? Years ago his night sweats were much worse, to the extent that he had a well man check up which revealed early stages of prostate cancer, which was successfully treated.

chrissieL

Jun 22, 2005
Shropshire
Hi Rosalind,
It's me again!
My husband (also VaD sufferer) has always been a cold soul, but just lately he is complaining of the cold more too. He often needs a blanket on his legs even when it's very warm and always has a vest, shirt and cardigan on whatever. He is 82, so age may play a part, but I think this is a symptem of poor circulation (i.e. poor blood flow from the heart) and gets worse with age as the arteries fur up more. I'm sure it's all to do with the vascular thing. I've also noticed when I shower him, if he's in there for too long his lower legs and feet turn blue, it's quite a worry and his shower has turned into an olympic event to beat the cold!!

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Dad used to suffer terribly feeling cold but as Chris suggested it may be that poor circulation was the reason - it was his heart that finally let him down. Unfortunately the dementia makes everything more difficult to understand as the language can get totally messed up and often when Aunt says hot she may well mean cold!

Kriss

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, my Mum had Vas too. Seems this is a common problem then, she used to wrap up for the arctic when the rest of us were sweltering. Love She. XX

Fran

Jul 8, 2005
Hampshire
dodgy thermastat

Hi Rosalind

Just thought I would let you know that my Mum, who has Alzheimers is ALWAYS cold, to the extent that throughout this summer she has had a thick winter duvet plus TWO waterbottles!!! She is pretty much bed-ridden now and very thin but even when she was well, she always felt the cold. I do however think there must be a connection with the Alzheimers as a couple of water bottles when it's a boiling hot day does seem a bit extreme! I do sympathise with you, its very difficult isn't it.

LindseyN

Aug 18, 2005
Grandad is always cold too, and has Vascular dementia. He's 81. Even when it's baking hot outside he has a jumper, shirt and vest on. He has the heater on too - my Nan says it's so warm in here but he doesn't feel it. I'm sure that it's due to his circulation as his heart is not very good either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976