Feeling A Little Irritated

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I am of course no longer a carer but I feel Irritated on behalf of everyone here when you keep hearing how the carers on the frontline are being thanked, which of course they should be, but you are all doing the best you can as well. In my case my family did thank me (even my brothers) and my friends told me what a wonderful job I did but I just feel that you all deserve a personal clap for your good work. We are also on the frontline and saving thousands of pounds.

I also feel very angry when it comes to care homes and PPE. I put dad into a brilliant care home when I could no longer care for him and it makes me angry when I hear that they weren't protected. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with my little rant but there are many irritating things that I keep hearing about.

MaNaAk

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
No need to worry if you've upset us. Speaking personally I thank you for your kind thoughts of us as carers.
Maybe the surge of appreciation which is presently being given to other carers, and rightly so, is because they have been suddenly plunged into working on the front line in these worrying and dangerous times, whereas most of us had our situation thrust on us gradually and have been given the time to process what that's meant to our individual lives.
Thank you for thanking us.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husbands sister is always thanking me for looking after her brother she is 200 miles away and 77yrs and she is more my family than my own family sister etc not my kids

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I am giving all the 'hidden carers' a clap when we give the NHS the clap on Thursdays, but that's part of the problem - it's still hidden! hmm

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I have many wonderful memories of caring for dad but I remember the loneliness on dad's when I struggled to get my diabetic dad to eat and times when I woke up in the early hours especially before diagnosis when I wondered what lay ahead and times when I couldn't get back to sleep because of being woken up in the middle of the night. I remember feeling guilty after leaving dad at the home for respite but then for the time in years I could relax. After he came out I had to put him back in the home permanently after another fall when doctors and paramedics told me that my caring days were at an end and me knowing this sometime ago but resisting. Yes imthedaughter you're right we need to do something about hidden carers albeit diplomatically.

MaNaAk

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
As an ex-carer I remember how much it meant to feel appreciated. While I was helping my dad and aunt to look after my mum my aunt (mum’s twin) constantly said thank you and how much she appreciated the help. It embarrassed me at the time... but having looked after dad without a word of thanks from anyone for years I now appreciate just how much “thank you” means.

I will be clapping for all the unseen carers who will probably never get the appreciation they deserve.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hello Everyone.

I am of course no longer a carer but I feel Irritated on behalf of everyone here when you keep hearing how the carers on the frontline are being thanked, which of course they should be, but you are all doing the best you can as well. In my case my family did thank me (even my brothers) and my friends told me what a wonderful job I did but I just feel that you all deserve a personal clap for your good work. We are also on the frontline and saving thousands of pounds.

I also feel very angry when it comes to care homes and PPE. I put dad into a brilliant care home when I could no longer care for him and it makes me angry when I hear that they weren't protected. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with my little rant but there are many irritating things that I keep hearing about.

MaNaAk

You are quite right @MaNaAk, when we clap we should clap for ALL carers not just the NHS that has a much more robust response, despite all the complaining in the media.

I think questions do have to be asked as many of these care homes are in the hands of private companies, who should have been able to make provision for PPE outside of government and also re-vamp how they carry out isolation procedures (cohorting) which they have failed to do. The people who have done their best are the care workers in care homes and home carers with their loved ones in situations far from ideal. As usual this group of people go unrecognised, and I hope that this changes. So many have done their best in their own homes and I think this needs to be championed and recognised along with the frontline care home workers who have faced very difficult scenarios over the last two months and amazingly stopped my mum from getting Covid-19 in an outbreak on her own wing. I applaud all of you.