feel this is the end for Mum

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
My thoughts are with you and your family.

I lost my mother when she was only 58, I am so sorry for your pain

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Thank you all for your support and kindness -it means a LOT to me. Well we went to sit with Mum this morning and the end seems near.Poor Mum is semi conscious and has fast rattly breathing ;All fluids and puree have been removed now -basically the staff swab her mouth with water; the pump hasn't been administered as the district nurse has said Mum seems comfortable and morphine injections will be administered as and when needed -Is it ''normal''for someones eyes to stay open even toward the end? When my Dad died age 58 from cancer,I don't remember his eyes staying open .All I can say is Mum is being made as comfortable as possible and the care home staff are being fantastic; I hope though Mum will not have to endure another night. x

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I suspect that Mum's eyes aren't seeing this world much now and her brain simply hasn't told her eyes to close.
I'm pleased to hear she is not in pain nor anxious, Just talk to her and tell her it's OK to go...
|Still thinking of you.x.x.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I suspect that Mum's eyes aren't seeing this world much now and her brain simply hasn't told her eyes to close.

What a lovely way of putting it!

There is a school of thought that some people need to be 'given permission' to let go. Whether it is true or not, I don't know but I did remember this when my MIL was near the end. I told her that all she had to do was relax and go when she was ready - she left us a few hours later.

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Mum's long journey finally ended last night at 10.20pm;I feel guilty as I was at home asleep in my bed ;How could I sleep when she was leaving us?
I feel empty but peaceful if that makes sense ?
Thank you to everyone for your support ,kind words and making me feel not so lonely xxx Lorraine

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your mum. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength. Please try not to feel guilty.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Mum's long journey finally ended last night at 10.20pm;I feel guilty as I was at home asleep in my bed ;How could I sleep when she was leaving us?
Thank you to everyone for your support ,kind words and making me feel not so lonely xxx Lorraine

It makes perfect sense, Lorraine. So sorry for your loss but glad she is at peace now. And please banish all thoughts of guilt from your mind right now, your Mum would have been glad you were getting some sleep, I bet you've not had much in the last...well, goodness knows how long.

Thinking of you and your family xxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
So sorry of the loss of your dear mum . Sending condolences to you and your family . Don't feel guilty as she is at peace now

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your Mum. Her journey has ended and she is at peace. No need to feel any guilt whatsoever, tomkitten. If your Mum could have known you were sleeping she would have been pleased, I am sure, and slipped away knowing you were resting.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
My deepest sympathies to you am sure that your mum would have been glad that you were resting she is at peace now xxxxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
If I could have any awareness, when about to take my last breath, that my Daughter was sleeping I would pass on peacefully. You were with your Mum when she needed you to be-and that's what counts. Your Mum is now at rest and her struggles are over; she would not have wanted you to feel guilty for not being there.

Please accept my condolences.

Love

Lyn T XX

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Your Mum is at peace, you let her know you loved her and she could leave.....and she left.
Now be at peace in yourself, you did all you could.
Thinking of you with sympathy.x.x

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent

Makes perfect sense to me. I was at home in bed too when the call came. Guilt is the last thing you should feel after your devotion to your mum. Deepest sympathy to you and hoping you continue to feel at peace.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
A nurse once told me that sometimes people wait for their loved ones to leave so they can pass quietly away.

I am sorry she has left you but your love for her shines through.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
A nurse once told me that sometimes people wait for their loved ones to leave so they can pass quietly away.

Yes, I was going to say this. It is very common for a relative to sit with someone for hours on end, only to slip away when they have nipped out to the loo or for a cuppa etc.

TomKitten, your beloved mum is at peace now, you will always hold her in your heart. If you want to see her again, look in the mirror, she lives on in you. xx