Feel so helpless

MarieD

Dec 26, 2021
I feel as if everything you read online points to the fact there’s help out there to stop financial abuse of people with dementia yet the reality is there isn’t .
My brother has taken advantage of my mothers vulnerable state he got her to transfer all her savings into his account she did not have the mental capacity to know what she was doing and it was only two weeks before she went into care.

The finance team picked up on this and asked him to put the amount back into my mothers account as it was deprivation of asset’s he agreed he would ( he never did )
When I found out about this and informed them they said they couldn’t do anything other then ask him to put the money back and I should contact the police .

I finally did contact the police and reported him I had lots of evidence via text messages pointing to the fact he’d taken the money to hide it so my mother wouldn’t pay for her care home fees ( so he told me at the time )
My mother was extremely Ill and qualified for CHC funding in the end so didn’t have to continue paying for fees.

My brother is now stating the money transferred was a gift to him ( my mother has never given either of us large amounts of money before )
The police investigation is on going but it’s been months now and if truth be told I feel so let down by the whole system and I’m sure he’ll get away with it as for some reason they seem to believe his lies.

The whole family have fallen out with him and are shocked and upset by his actions yet he shows no remorse.

Covid restrictions did not help the situation the LPA was delayed months and only came into effect after my brother had taken the large sum of money.

We are both attorneys and he continues to take out large amounts of cash as gifts he has told the OPG my mother would always spend this on his children etc
I’m just powerless to stop him as it’s his word against mine my mother was quite tight with her money and I know for a fact she’d stopped sending gifts a few years ago.
It’s all such a mess and I feel as if I’ve let my mother down which is heartbreaking for me.

I just wanted to warn others , don’t be as naive as I was I thought the council could force him to put back the money but that’s just not the case.
Money really is the root of all evil I would never of thought my brother capable of this it’s so heartbreaking as we were so close .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope someone will eventually take action @MarieD The trouble is if you get a solicitor involved it will probably cost you more than your brother has taken.

There are many unscrupulous children who only have eyes on their parent`s assets, it really is quite sickening.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @MarieD
It‘s very hard to wrap your head around that fact that someone you love or are close to can be so greedy & rotten.
I wish you strength to cope with this situation & would suggest you get some counselling to talk through your feelings.

MarieD

Dec 26, 2021
Thank you for the replies
The police are sending all the details to the CPS who will decide if there’s enough evidence to prosecute on my mothers behalf.
It’s just the injustices of it all and all while my mother is so ill.
If has taught me one thing , it’s to have a LPA document in place before you start to get ill and make sure you write very clear instructions what an attorney is allowed and not allowed to do on your behalf.