Feedback from local Mental Health meeting

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Following my request for ideas for feedback meeting with CPN and others from Mental Health team (and I did praise them for inviting carers and patients) here is what happened.
There were 6 people from mental health2 carers and one former patient (not alzheimers, but other mental problems).

They took on board quite a few comments from us all, in particular the need for patients/carers to know who does what, and who to ask for what.

One idea that I thought was a good one was for one of the CPNs to hold a surgery, where carers or patients could make an appointment for a 10 minute session about anything that was worrying them, rather than waiting until they were at end of tether and screaming for help, or a routine visit. What do other people think about this, as I think feedback would be appreciated?

The team felt they were more patient orientated than carer orientated, and certainly I raised the fact that when the CPN visited I would often appreciate the opportunity for a private word, which is not easy in one's own home, with patient present. A surgery would help on that.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Rosalind,
I think the idea of a surgery is good - a quick, informal way of getting the information that you need.
Helen

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Feedback

It would be useful to have a list of useful telephone numbers and a central place to seek information. A surgery would have been very useful to me while Mum was living at home. It is difficult talking to the GP when the patient is present and appears to be quite licid and in control. Thankyou for bringing the issue to their attention.
Kayla

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hiya, Rosaliind. Thanks for taking the time to give us an up-date. I think the idea of a 'surgery' is brilliant - and to include carers in that, too. When I received an offer from the Sensory Impairment Team to 'ring anytime for advice, whatever you're worried about' I practically cried with relief just knowing there was someone to turn to as first port of call' without waiting weeks or even months for an appointment with someone! (apart from TP, of course!)

Well done, you!

Love, Karen (TF)