fear

May 1

May 7, 2015
Surrey
My first post so bear with me. My husband is 66 Has alzheimers. I do not know how to cope! .Does it get easier with time? ? Who do I turn to??

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello May and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. So young too. My husband was diagnosed over 14 years ago at the age of 70. I don't know about it getting easier but somehow you find a way of facing it and dealing with it. It might not seem that way now but you will.

As for support. You will find lots of peer support on this forum. In terms of face to face support I think it will depend I what is available near where you live. You might begin with your local Alzheimer Society branch -

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

Wishing you well. xx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Welcome to Talking Point, May.

Really sorry to know you're now travelling this road with the rest of us. I know there will be people on here to direct you, maybe even give helpful links. First place I'd suggest is your GP. Have a talk with your doctor, outlining what's happening. Can your loved one perhaps be persuaded to go for a health check?

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
My first post so bear with me. My husband is 66 Has alzheimers. I do not know how to cope! .Does it get easier with time? ? Who do I turn to??

Hi and welcome,
Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, my husband is 66 next week and has had Alzheimers/ vascular dementia for seven years. Here you can say anything you want to get off your chest and ask anything, there will always be someone who can point you in the right direction and offer advice. Ask your GP for information about local help, eg memory cafe's, carer support and groups that you can join together or on your own.
There will be times that will be hard and times that seem easier, I tend to go with the flow as much as I can and cross each bridge when we come to it.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just to say welcome, May. I'm sure you will get a lot of comfort and advice here. We are all at different stages of the same journey. Best wishes.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
hello May and welcome to TP, you will find over the coming days or months if you read the varing threads/forums, that you will learn a lot and get more help here (IMO) than with the GP's.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi and welcome to TP.

The first step is to arrange a needs assessment with social services for your husband. That should determine the help he would be entitled to like carers coming 4 times a day or a day care centre or sitting service/respite so that you can gets some time to yourself. You can also request a carers assessment for yourself. You could enquire about memory gadgets/ tracker devices from telecare or adaptations to the home like grab rails through the OT department.

The next step is to contact the local Alzheimer's Society, Age UK and/or Carers Centre for practical and emotional support. They have groups your husband could attend like Singing for the Brain and other clubs and give you practical support with benefits or filling in forms as well as emotional support. They could also be an advocate in dealings with authorities.

You should look into things like Attendance Allowance and council tax exemption for him, as well as arranging for power of attorney before it's too late - very important.

It sounds a lot initially but once things are in place it should take some of the strain off.