Father's Obsession with Finances

elizabeth timms

Oct 11, 2004
Dear Jude

My mother went into long term care last Friday. We had been living together for the past 15 years. I miss her so much. She was obsessed with her money. Someone was always "stealing" her purse. Once we had a week long discussion about "a boy" who had been taking money from her purse. It made her cry and I felt so helpless. "The boy" had a "father" and she begged me to see him and get the money back. I agreed and we worked out that mother was owed about £150, part of this was to pay a debt to her own mother (who died in the early 80s). I went to the cash til and drew £150. I came home for a serious chat. "Now. Here you have the money." We put it in her purse and I made her promise not to let "the boy" near her again. She was so relieved. A few moments went by and I could see her mind ticking over. Then, she brightly announced: "That's all well and good. But you know, they still owe me for all his school fees!" "The boy" went away for a few weeks. He returned about a month ago. This time he had taken one of her books. She couldn't recall the title. We went through the Bible, a dictionary...because she insisted it was the most famous book in the world. A couple of weeks ago she asked for a pen and paper so that she could write to the newspapers about this. Her handwriting went sometime ago. However, she managed to scribble something. About a week ago she wrote that her Readers Digest had been stolen. The letter was dated 1941.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
Bruce confirms my thoughts on Microsoft Money,I have used it for years too.
You just put the info in and it comes out the other end.
Would it be suitable fo those who have to produce accounts for their care?.
Regards
Norman

C

Chesca

Dear Norman
Microsoft Money? Sounds a little like Albran to me.
Chesca

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Elizabeth,

Thanks very much for your post. We do have the 'boy' syndrome here too. He must get around a lot.....

My father makes all these wild accusations, which are mostly aimed at me unfortunately as 'the boy' in question. Over the weekend, I had hours of this grilling and it drives me completely up the curtains. Nothing else gets done until he is satisfied and then only for 10 minutes until we have to go through the loop again.

If I'm not in the room, then he starts on my mother. It's a case of 'somebody - and we know who - has stolen all of our savings and we are going to be thrown out of our house later today. Where will we sleep tonight. We must check and lock our bedroom door now'. Don't trust this boy here, he's lying to us' etc etc.

Meal times are now a case of - 'Where did you get the money to buy this food? I'm taking charge of the housekeeping from now on and we will only eat once a day and you can buy your own food. You aren't sponging off me...... £10 a week is quite sufficient for groceries for a fortnight'.

They are also living in 1941 unfortunately.

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Among other things I use Money to track all I spend for Jan, clothes, special foods, her chair, etc. This can all be reported really easily.

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
That boy

... when you catch up with him, please ask him what he's done with all the toilet paper and the peanut butter (again).

Suzy

C

Chesca

Just back from the local shoplifter's paradise, commonly known as The Shopping Centre, when I was accosted by a shifty looking sort emerging from the shadows. 'Psst, nice lady' (OK what does he know?) 'I've got a cheap line in toilet paper and peanut butter two pounds three and a farthing, the lot, if you're interested!' On your behalves, I was interested.

Will let you let you have my mail order address just as soon as that load of promised brown wrapping paper from Jude arrives.

Chesca

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Chesca,

3 ton of brown wrappers and cardboard was collected from here today by an elderly bloke with a horse and cart and assisted by a small grubby boy. ETA to Liverpool estimated [by them] at 2 weeks and 4 days with a good 'tail wind'. I didn't ask what they were feeding the horse. Better not to really, under the circs. Cost £1.3s.4d. Not bad considering...... Hopefully your consignment will arrive this side of Christmas.

Jude

C

Chesca

So that's where the handcart went? I was looking for that today to take next door's laundry down to the pawnshop - I promise to wash it for them, take it down to the pop shop when I'm skint for a quick borrow, and take it back to neighbour when I get paid. Laundry washed, bread on the table, happy neighbour and nobody is any the wiser.....until you have to carry it in old coal sacks because your handcart's gone walk about with the horse. Giddy up neddy before I'm the talk of the place.

Chesca

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hope they get there on time, or it will be a case of going 'to hell in a hand cart' with all the neighbours hot on your tail. Diversonary tactics required immediately....

Jude

C

Chesca

I'm having a hell of time, here in this 1941 stuff. My PC is crashing like a scud missile and I'm stumbling around the threads like a drunken floosie in 3 inch stilletoe slingbacks on a wet cobbled street! Roll on tarmac!

Chesca

I'll catch up soon, but I'm worn out!!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Chesca,

Panic not! Here's what you do.

Take one very large hammer and apply vigorously to the modem. I find that fixes things nicely. Not always immediately, but it is very satisfying.......

Jude

C

Chesca

And then should I throw the shattered remains in the 2000 sq cu Ft container along with the others, ready for collection by the old fella with the horse and cart?

Just going to look for the hammer!

Chesca

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Girls

Will you please try to keep to the point?

We have progressed (if that is the correct word) though money, animals, cooking, pre-decimal coinage, and war time clothing to Dickensian transport.

I am getting RSI from flicking backwards and forward trying to make sense of the postings.

That in itself is a silly thing to try when you are all in this mood.

You do me the world of good.

Cheers Barraf

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chesca
I know who that old bloke is,he is a ex Merchant Seamen who used to live at Judes place but he was chicked for mis behaving.
I expect he is half way across the Mersey by now on the Daffodil making for the wirrall.
Norman

C

Chesca

Dear Norman

Thanks be, help is on it's way...and not before time! Just hope he can make it up the floating bridge without any spark from the horse's hooves setting fire to the highly combustable cargo on the cart. Perish the thought! Perish the goods, actually!

Hard hearted Hannah, was a song inspired by Jude, so I know what you mean! Terrible woman!

Lotsa
Chesca