Father in-laws Alzheimer’s

Mitsu

Apr 4, 2021
Hi I want to help in-laws with advice as his Alzheimer’s is getting worse.He’s 85 and mum in law is 84 and struggling to look after him for much longer at home. It looks like it’s getting close for care but what is the first thing to do to get things in motion thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
First is POA either from a solicitor or by downloading forms. Health and Welfare as well as Finance. Registered immediately. Look at separating their finances with a separate current account for Mum in law.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Good luck @Mitsu . The approach that worked best for my parents on this sort of thing, if they are resistant, was to tell them they need these in case one or both of them falls ill to the point of incaoacity (I said stroke which can happen in a minute and made sense to them) and the other could be left in financial difficulty unable to cope. Also if that happened would they prefer me or the council/government to make decisions on what happens to them and their property. Luckily the answer was ok where do I sign!!

It’s all true anyway.

Another point is that I said I was getting mine done too, and everyone should get this in place and keep it up to date, because who knows?

Also true.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Mitsu

The following link may be useful. If you scroll right down to the bottom of the main page, there is lots of advice on care needs assessments, also types of care homes, funding and so on, it’s a good place to start, even if you are not yet ready.

This link may also be useful:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R