Father in law has Alzheimer's mother in law has stage 4 cancer

Zoho38

Apr 29, 2014
Father in law has Alzheimer's ....mother in law has stage 4 cancer
Hi
I'm new to the forum

My father in law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago. Recently my mother in law has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer which she is currently going through treatment for she has had her first treatment. Since her diagnosis my father in law has deteriorated quite signifanctly and does not recognise her and is convinced their home is not his he is going off wandering daily and my mum in law is not able or stop him and is really struggling to look after him
. His doc has taken his driving licence off him and we have removed the car as he was angrily demanding the keys from her. My husband and I are doing all we can however we have a daughter with Down Syndrome who needs our care also. My sister in law passed away 3.5 years ago from cancer so care falls to my mother in law and us. He has been offered access to a day centre 2 dAys a week which I am not convinced is enough we just don't know what to do for the best. His geriatric phsyciatrist has retired and the hosp are not offering any support .... The GP is trying to assist where possible and social work do not seem to give a damn ...just don't know what to do to help we both work also and it's daily phone calls at the moment saying he has disappeared ...

Thanks for listening

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
Hello Zoho, I don't have enough experience of your very difficult situation to be able to offer you any constructive help but I just want to say welcome and that you have come to the right place for support and advice. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can maybe come up with some practical suggestions for you. Best wishes.

Zoho38

Apr 29, 2014
Hello Zoho, I don't have enough experience of your very difficult situation to be able to offer you any constructive help but I just want to say welcome and that you have come to the right place for support and advice. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can maybe come up with some practical suggestions for you. Best wishes.

Thank you very much ...just really difficult to know what to do to support :confused: