Father has memory loss and and waiting on a referral

Minip

Jul 17, 2021
Hi, my dad we suspect may have dementia, we have seen a doctor and she has referred us to the memory clinic this was back in April we have chased it and still haven’t had any support. My dad has really changed in 3 years and has changed a lot in his personality, his relationships with my mum is at a breaking point.

is there anything I can do apart from the GP referral to get my parents some support?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Minip and welcome to Talking Point.

You dont need a diagnosis to ask Social Services for needs assessment for your dad.
My OH does not have a diagnosis and he now has carers to help him wash/shower and dress, he could have gone to day care except that covid shut it down (hopefully opening again soon so that he can attend mens sheds) and he has gone in for a few weeks respite. I could also get someone to sit with him for a couple of hours a week through TuVida (formally Crossroads) while I go out and Age UK can provide lots of things to help like Help at Home (cleaning, laundry, shopping etc), gardening and a handyman service. You do have to pay for some of these things, but I have found them invaluable to keep me sane.