Father assessment for continuing care

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
Hi
I really need advice. For the last 2 years we have been there when firstly our mother (91) became ill and had Alzheimer's and sadly passed away last year. She had a bleed to the brain and spent 3 months in hospital until eventually they insisted she went to nursing home. She spent 6 months there before finally passing. Then we had no option but to put our father (94) in care home as although we tried for 6 months to keep him at his own home ( we fed him every day etc), we got worried it was dangerous for him and reluctantly put him in care home. ( if our house had been bigger we would have had him). We pay £5200 per month. Last week I had info come to light that he should have had an assessment from council which could mean that he should receive funding for this ( without means testing). Can anyone help point me in the right direction for advise. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Hi
I really need advice. For the last 2 years we have been there when firstly our mother (91) became ill and had Alzheimer's and sadly passed away last year. She had a bleed to the brain and spent 3 months in hospital until eventually they insisted she went to nursing home. She spent 6 months there before finally passing. Then we had no option but to put our father (94) in care home as although we tried for 6 months to keep him at his own home ( we fed him every day etc), we got worried it was dangerous for him and reluctantly put him in care home. ( if our house had been bigger we would have had him). We pay £5200 per month. Last week I had info come to light that he should have had an assessment from council which could mean that he should receive funding for this ( without means testing). Can anyone help point me in the right direction for advise. Many thanks.

Hi, last year we (the family) made enquiries about care home/carers etc for mum. I contacted our Local Authority (council) and initially a social worker came out, then a few days later another person came out and did a financial assessment. This consisted of looking at her bank account, pension, attendence allowance and any assets she had. They went away and rang me about a week later, to advise the costs/options available.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hi.

It might help if you could clarify a couple of points.

When you say 'we are paying £5,200 per month', do you mean this is being paid from your father's own funds (perhaps with you or another family member acting under a power of attorney) or are the fees being paid by someone else?

If your father has assets below £23k approximately, you are right that he would be entitled to financial support from his LA. A care needs assessment and financial assessment would be the way to go.

Or are you looking at whether he might be eligible for NHS continuing care funding (otherwise known as CHC) ? This would cover all costs but would be available only if he is assessed as having a primary health need and the qualifying threshold is pretty high. There is a thread on here which is worth a read if you are considering applying for this and lots of TP members have had personal experience of the process. We got it for my parents-in-law for both my parents Under the 'fast-track' process because they were both expected to die within 6 months. If this is your sad situation, talk to your father's GP.

Last edited:

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
Thank you all so much for advice. I have downloaded forms and have been reading all info. I have had an agreement that father is entitled to £150 per week allowance so far. As much as I read the forms it sends my head into a spin. If he has the £150 per week allowance, does this mean he has a 'primary care need' and if he has should he be entitled to full funds covering all fees. I'm sorry if I appear stupid but it's so confusing

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thank you all so much for advice. I have downloaded forms and have been reading all info. I have had an agreement that father is entitled to £150 per week allowance so far. As much as I read the forms it sends my head into a spin. If he has the £150 per week allowance, does this mean he has a 'primary care need' and if he has should he be entitled to full funds covering all fees. I'm sorry if I appear stupid but it's so confusing

If you read the thread on the first link below I think you're making the same mistake as Bob, Funded Nursing Care (FNC) maximum £156pw isn't the same thing as Continuing Health Care (CHC).
If you read the second thread that's where we've been discussing CHC in some depth.
Basically CHC is for people with a medical condition and AZ isn't (apparently) a medical condition, so they say. Someone with AZ can have medical needs and so the NHS will contribute to this with FNC, basically it's a contribution to a nursing home to cover the nursing side of someone's care.
K

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?101676-Continuing-healthcare-for-my-wife

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?86059-CHC-(Continuing-Healthcare)-support-thread

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just to clarify something from your initial post, any funding from the Local Authority/ council/ SS, call it what you wish, is very much means tested. As Pickles has said, if your father has savings over £23,500 and/or owns a house, then they will not contribute and all fees will have to be paid by your father.

Continuing Health Care is paid by the NHS and is not connected in any way to the LA. This is not means tested but is very hard to obtain even with serious medical conditions unconnected to existing dementia.
It is my understanding that anyone needing nursing care and thus in a nursing home is allowed the FNC payment from the NHS though this is usually paid directly to the home with some exceptions.

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
Thanks. I'll check this out as don't think I will get pointed in right direction by authorities. Really appreciate you pointing me in right direction