Farewell mum in law

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
It's been another difficult year. Hospitalisation for my mum followed by a move into permanent care where she remains, sort of settled. I've cleared her flat - my second house clearance and no easier than the first one despite the flat being much smaller than my family home which was sold in 2013 ...

.... and then ....

Mum in law (suspected but not officially diagnosed vascular dementia) was in respite in a care home after a series of falls and onset of sudden pain. The carers called an ambulance and the care home GP recommended she went to A&E without delay. While she was in A&E, the vascular surgeon who had treated her a few times was passing, examined her and organised for her to be rushed to his hospital (different from the one she was in) as he 'didn't like the look of things'.

So - rushed she was, admitted and assessed. My husband and his sister and two brothers were called to see her. She was on gallons of pain relief. The stents in her legs had failed and there was no circulation to her legs which were basically dead and she had a blood clot in her intestine. My husband came home and said they told him she didn't have long so he was glad he went to see her. She survived the night and with her pain relief managed was more comfortable the next day - but in the evening she slipped into unconsciousness. A pastor came and blessed her - my sister in law played her favourite song and she died very peacefully.

I'm sorry if anyone finds this upsetting - what stood out most to me about it all was that if there is such a thing as a good death, that was it. She had her children round her - and she had the religious input that meant so much to her and then free from pain, she slipped away.

I'll forever miss her slightly mad personality (even pre dementia!) and her talent for talking for hours and hours about nothing at all. She had a huge sense of fun and a grin like a Cheshire cat. A big personality that will be very sorely missed :(

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
A good death, indeed, but no less painful for the family

Thinking of you xxx

No, it doesn't diminish the pain. It may prove comforting in the distant future. I hope so, particularly for my sister in law who is riddled with guilt because they had a difficult relationship

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm gad your MIL is at peace and that she had her family round her. Wishing you strength.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm so sorry. Having gone through this recently myself, I guess a quick good death is all we can really hope for.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
It's been another difficult year. Hospitalisation for my mum followed by a move into permanent care where she remains, sort of settled. I've cleared her flat - my second house clearance and no easier than the first one despite the flat being much smaller than my family home which was sold in 2013 ...

.... and then ....

Mum in law (suspected but not officially diagnosed vascular dementia) was in respite in a care home after a series of falls and onset of sudden pain. The carers called an ambulance and the care home GP recommended she went to A&E without delay. While she was in A&E, the vascular surgeon who had treated her a few times was passing, examined her and organised for her to be rushed to his hospital (different from the one she was in) as he 'didn't like the look of things'.

So - rushed she was, admitted and assessed. My husband and his sister and two brothers were called to see her. She was on gallons of pain relief. The stents in her legs had failed and there was no circulation to her legs which were basically dead and she had a blood clot in her intestine. My husband came home and said they told him she didn't have long so he was glad he went to see her. She survived the night and with her pain relief managed was more comfortable the next day - but in the evening she slipped into unconsciousness. A pastor came and blessed her - my sister in law played her favourite song and she died very peacefully.

I'm sorry if anyone finds this upsetting - what stood out most to me about it all was that if there is such a thing as a good death, that was it. She had her children round her - and she had the religious input that meant so much to her and then free from pain, she slipped away.

I'll forever miss her slightly mad personality (even pre dementia!) and her talent for talking for hours and hours about nothing at all. She had a huge sense of fun and a grin like a Cheshire cat. A big personality that will be very sorely missed :(
My thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
When I said a 'good death' I meant that MIL seemed to be in control of it rather than it of her - I felt she was steering herself through the process and that she psychologically put herself in order and off she went.

I never meant that it wasn't horribly sad, or upsetting, or any of those things, because it is :(

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I'm sorry to read about your mother in law. It sounds very sudden but I hope you take comfort from her being pain-free and comfortable.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
That guilt monster :(

Squishy hug xx
Oh goodness me, yes. SIL and I had a few heart to heart chats about their rocky relationship and she was seeing a counsellor to try and help her learn how to deal with the conflict, but I had a feeling she would be bombarded by guilt once MIL had died.

They were so alike - both stubborn as mules, both always right. I do hope that she can make peace with herself now - we all only do the best we can.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
KM, my sympathy to you and your husband. I hope SIL can come to terms with it easily.
((((Hugs)))))

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
It is hard to come to terms with death sometimes and we all have things we "shoulda, coulda, woulda done" given more time. I guess some residual guilt is inevitable. Thoughts and prayers with you, hope all goes well while you are all coming to terms with this.

Sue.