FAQs

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi @nitram

To confirm - do you mean that 'find all threads by nitram' is taking you to threads you participated in AND started, rather than just threads that you've started?

@SerenaS Not only that but as you can see from the posts above I have been plagued by emails every time someone has posted on threads.
I found by going to Watched threads under Forum, that I am apparently watching every thread I might have just glimpsed at.
The options were set at alert and email for every one but by unticking these, I have been at last been email free. I had already opted out of all alerts and email in preferences and alert preferences with no effect.
Also, the option at the bottom of threads seem - in my case anyway - to have the alerts and email ticked as default and even if I unticked them they still reverted to it.
I am still getting alerts on the flag for the test thread which is fine but I’ve no idea why as I opted out of all.
I am also apparently still watching every thread I visit but have no wish to do so.

I am about to experiment with trying to have alerts and emails for just a couple of threads but am nervous of doing so as I literally had dozens and dozens listed on my emai yesterday!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
@nitram
Short answer - no!
Thanks, I will try but it’s the emails that concern me more.

@SerenaS
I’ve confirmed that my Interaction - Threads started by me - also contain those started by others.
Maybe this is just an error that happened during the transfer.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is there any way of doing something about the old avatars looking blurry? Only avatars uploaded since the new layout look non-blurry, so that's a lot of blurriness we're looking at right now, and why should everybody have to upload new pics?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Is there any way of doing something about the old avatars looking blurry? Only avatars uploaded since the new layout look non-blurry, so that's a lot of blurriness we're looking at right now, and why should everybody have to upload new pics?
Why not just reload your old avatar? Perhaps it will be ok now.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks @nitram and @Chemmy - we'll investigate the 'find all threads by' issue

Sorry about the issue with email alerts @Saffie and @nitram - do let me know if things persist. I'm not hearing it from a lot of other members so I wonder if this is a settings issue for your accounts.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks to those of you who have reported issues with discussion threads appearing Calendar - we're looking into this to try to determine a cause and get it fixed.

Members who want to change alerts and notifications can check their alert preferences and also account preferences to check and reset options.

Here's our 'your personal settings' help video:

@nitram and @Saffie are the changes reverting back, once you change them?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Just an FYI: for those who wish to change their avatars all you have to do is change the image - you do not have to press save changes so you don't have to duplicate your reason for joining. As soon as you put a new picture in, it updates.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thanks to those of you who have reported issues with discussion threads appearing Calendar - we're looking into this to try to determine a cause and get it fixed.

Members who want to change alerts and notifications can check their alert preferences and also account preferences to check and reset options.

I did all the personal setting changes yesterday as shown on the video and also the alerts but although they have appeared not to have been reverting back on the setting there, I still received reams of emails.
The setting under each thread under ‘options’ though did revert back. I have just checked these now and they are still ticke for alert but not for email!
I think the following might have caused that change:-
Only by going the ‘Watched threads’ under the blue Forum did I manage to stop the emails by ticking each thread in the list - none of which I was watching - and changing the settings at the bottom options.
@SerenaS

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Just an FYI: for those who wish to change their avatars all you have to do is change the image - you do not have to press save changes so you don't have to duplicate your reason for joining. As soon as you put a new picture in, it updates.
But my question was why we have to upload a new picture in the first place? Some people don't come here very often, and they all now have a blurred avatar pic. Why can't admin fix that remotely?

Plus I got no reply on the other thread about this so here goes again:
"Now this is weird - all posts made since last Thursday also indicate the time they were posted next to the date. Older ones don't. I can't figure out whether this just couldn't be saved for older posts or whether this is a new thing now and the time will only be displayed for the last seven days?"

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
But my question was why we have to upload a new picture in the first place? Some people don't come here very often, and they all now have a blurred avatar pic. Why can't admin fix that remotely?

The majority of members do not have an avatar, although more are adding one now as they figure prominently in the new layout and give users a quick sight of who is posting.

In the total process of migrating the database accumulated over 14 years which involved some 30 hours of work ensuring that everything went into the correct place in the new database and then indexing it all correctly so that searches like 'find all content by <username> worked, being asked fix individual avatars after the import is a non starter.

There are still some features such as 'find all threads started by <username>' were 'something went wrong' which are priority.

A small percentage of users have avatars, if the whole import had gone wrong all users would have been adversely affected.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
To add to what nitram said, it's my understanding that when you uploaded an avatar to the old forum, that software did not save that avatar with anything like high quality definition, whereas this software does (well better, anyway). So when the avatars were transferred, it made the poor definition more obvious. Basically, the information required to produce a non-blurry avatar simply isn't there.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Is there anyway of reinstating the "Unread threads" instead of just "recent threads"?

The "Sticky threads" seem to be ending up many pages down now and threads I have looked at stay in the middle of the ones I haven't yet read.
:)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Recent posts are displayed in chronological, unread post remain blue.

Sticky threads are only stuck to the top.of the forum they are in, if they where stuck to the top of recent posts there would be a very long list.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
They do remain Blue but if you only have time to read a few new posts and come back some time later and there have been many new threads followed by the ones your read, followed by the ones you missed last time so you have to check the next pages as well.

I do not really need to see all the threads I have previously mark as read.

Just doesn't seem very neat to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976