FAQs

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

We’ve tried to capture your Frequently Asked Questions in this discussion. Please feel free to ask questions and share your feedback below.

Things that are different on this website

· Alerts

Alerts tell you when you've received a reply or comment.

You can change your preferences by clicking on the flag symbol on the top right-hand corner:

alerts.png

Find out more >here<

· Conversations

What used to be your PMs are now called your 'Conversations'. You will still be able to send and reply to messages as before.

If you've posted more than 10 times, when you click on any member’s picture or their username, you’ll see this pop up:

startaconversation.png

Then click on 'start a conversation' to start writing them a message.

Find out more >here<

· Mentions

To mention another member, just add the @ symbol before their name to alert them to your comment:

mentions.png

Find out more >here<

· Watching

If you'd like to keep an eye on a particular discussion, you can click on 'Watch Thread' at the top of the thread:
watchthread1.png

watchthread2.png

Find out more >here<

· Unanswered threads

To view the threads that don't yet have a reply, click on the blue 'Unanswered threads' button on the right-hand side of the page, underneath your avatar.

New things that we are trying out

· Bookmarks feature

bookmark1.png

Find out more >here<

Things that you may want to change

To change your avatar (profile picture), click on the small picture at the top right-hand side of the screen next to the envelope symbol and click on 'Avatar':

You can then follow the instructions to upload a new avatar.

Find out more >here<

· Information on your profiles

To change the information on your profile, click on the small picture at the top right-hand side of the screen (next to the envelope symbol) and then click on 'Personal Details'.

This should take you to your profile, where you can add or remove information like your reason for joining, location and date of birth.

· Your alerts preferences

You can change the alerts that you receive by ticking or unticking the options shown, and then clicking 'save changes':

alerts2.png

Find out more >here<

Helpful resources

· Help videos

· FAQs

If you have questions, please post them below and we’ll respond as soon as we can.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello! Welcome back - thanks to the team for getting us up and running so quickly. Now I need to look at my avatar!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Just to let you know what I am getting. I "mark forums read" and I am redirected to the "forums" page.
I then go to "recent posts". before it used to say "no new posts".
Now it gives all the threads but only the recently updated ones have the new little button that shows "go to the first unread message".

Hope that helps.
:)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
51 robots?

Don't worry.
Without BOTS search engines - google, yahoo, bing,... would not work.
You do use them, don't you?
They can't get into members' area as this require a username + password.
Phrases in other forums will return a result in search engines.
In a wider sense they also look for profanities/inappropriate content on social media.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Two Three glitches that I've not seen mentioned anywhere, you may be aware of them.
  • Calendar shows various posts I think they are all start of threads.
  • If I go Profile|Postings|Find all threads by nitram I get one thread and them the rest is posts I made in other members' threads.
  • I've not got the option set for emails on alert and until just now I haven't been getting any emails. As I was typing I got an alert and email. I know @Saffie is being bombarded with emails when she get an alert and can't stop them
EDIT

Just got an alert without an email.
When I got the email the alert came from the thread I was actively replying to.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
True I am receiving loads of emails and have unchecked all alerts on my profile, both under preferences and alert preferences, I’ve unchecked the watched thread option at the bottom of threads but it reverts to being ticked every time.
I would like to have a couple of watched threads but am foregoing that option at present just to be rid of this list of TP emails that are greeting me every time I log on!

The calendar seems full of private bits and pieces apart from birthdays.
As it seems the link to listing an event is there now not working, the calendar seems a bit irrelevant.
After all, when someone applied for Deputyship is surely nothing to do,with me and neither is someone else’s hospital appointment!

To cap it all, my iPad has been upgraded and now that looks and is behaving differently now too!
@nitram

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Further to alerts and emails.
I've toggled the settings and now only get the email if the alert is caused by a post on a thread I started.

@Saffie

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Where have you been over the past weeks Nitram?!
That’s what I’ve been referring to when I’ve said I have unchecked the Watch threads and email option at the bottom threads.
However they just revert back to being checked on next visit and still I get emails.
I have a string of them now and as far as I am aware every single thing is not being watched, alerted nor emailed!
But still they come!!!
Feeling beleaguered!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69