Family not informed of care home resident's death

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Noelphobic

What a tragic situation. But for me the biggest tragedy is that none of the family had bothered to visit the old lady, or even ring to find out how she was.

I expect they're now wanting vast sums in compensation.

Love,

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Skye said:
Hi Noelphobic

What a tragic situation. But for me the biggest tragedy is that none of the family had bothered to visit the old lady, or even ring to find out how she was.

Love,

Yes, that does seem awful but it doesn't excuse the way she was moved from one home to another and then her body disposed of without the family being informed. I did wonder who had registered the death and whether the funeral had been paid for, in which case the home must have had control of her money.

My mum has been in her present nursing home for over a year and I don't think my brother has ever visited. However, he did phone there once and asked them to get in touch with him if 'anything happened'! As the home has mine and my sister's phone numbers as contacts I would be extremely angry if he was the first to find out if 'anything happened'.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi
While I agree that both care homes were wrong in not informing the family of the move or the death or cremation. If the family were interested enough, it would never have happened.
I can never imagine a situation where one of my family or myself would not visit Mum and Dad at least 4 times a week, if not everyday.
I am appalled that a family, didn't know their Mum had died until a month later.
I think the family should be ashamed of themselves, as should the the care home
Alfjess

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Skye said:
Hi Noelphobic

Love,

Couldn't agree more!

(nb Noelphobic, death can be registered by someone present - doesn't have to be a family member)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh, the poor family members:
No, I am not on their side, just cannot imagine how they must feel..

From my own point of view: Lionel has a son who (has washed his hands of his ldear dad) Last visited 2002

LIONELS DAUGHTER: visited last: November 2006. Numerous excuses as to why she has not visited since Nov, 2006.

Their excuses, their reasons,......I always ask myslf (Will they be able to live with themselves).....Only they can answer that...................As I have always said "Do as you would be done by" I can always hold my head up high..........I rest my case.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Kriss said:
Couldn't agree more!

(nb Noelphobic, death can be registered by someone present - doesn't have to be a family member)

I know it doesn't HAVE to be a family member but I would have thought that would have been the norm unless the deceased person had no family. However, I would also have thought one of the first things any home would do would be to contact the family. It seems the old lady had only recently moved there and they had no contact details but common sense would dictate that they would contact the previous home to obtain contact details! It also makes me wonder whether the death was very sudden or they expected her to die, in which case I would have thought they would have attempted to make contact with the family before the death.

I would think that the family would be feeling extremely guilty anyway.