Family harrassing to see Dad despite Lockdown

PerlogAnnwyl

Jan 21, 2021
My Dad has vascular dementia. My mother and I are his primary carers. I am mainly a carer because I moved home post uni and while I do have a house lined up for me it needs work done.

I am the youngest of four siblings by a lot. The next youngest before me is 15 years older. My siblings are all my half siblings. My brother is my Mum's son. My sisters are my Dad's daughters. However, despite this my father has been my brother's defacto dad since he was 10 years old. On the other hand, my sisters don't have a good relationship with my mother.

I hope that makes sense?

The issues are my sisters.

Recently they have made life very difficult for me and Mum especially since we are in Lockdown.

My sisters keep insisting on coming up to see my Dad. Either together, or with their whole families. Outside of Covid this would be incredibly stressful as my Dad often doesn't know who they are. Additionally, they often do it suddenly without asking making my mother, this makes us uncomfortable, we feel as though we have no privacy.

When my mother told them this, they started sending borderline harrassing messages to my mother. They insisted that she let them see Dad at least once a week. When my Dad ran away the other day, they threatened to report us to social services. Social Services are involved and said we did everything we could. They've told my mother she has no right to look after my father, because they are his daughters which is more important than my mother being my father's wife.

With Covid, it's worse because while I believe my one sister is taking some precautions to isolate, I am still very nervous. I don't think my other sister is taking many precautions. This is concerning as Dad is 74 and my Mother is 64.

We can't form a bubble with my sisters, mostly because that would be illegal. Also because we have made a bubble with my Grandmother, who lives alone(which is allowed), can't drive, physically disabled and is 83.

Other things my sisters have done:

They've argued my brother doesn't need to see my Dad at all because he isn't my Dad's biological son.

When they have been to see my Dad, neither sister has followed any government guidelines which has actually led to one Covid-scare.

They don't think I am capable to look after my Dad, treating me like I'm a child. I'm 25, nearly 26 years old. I've been living with my father while he's had dementia for just over 2 years. During his fits of violence he often belittles me and shouts at me.

I need literally any advice. I'm tired. I am at my wits end with my sisters.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @PerlogAnnwyl

Your sisters sound like a complete nightmare! They obviously should not be behaving that way but you're not the only person here to have very difficult siblings but I am quite shocked by the cavalier attitude they have to covid restrictions. Would your brother help you to stand up to them?

You mention that your dad can get quite feisty. Do you feel safe when he gets like this or do you think you or your mother are at risk from him? Please make sure that social services are aware of your dad's behaviour as they may be able to offer extra support for you and your mum. It might be a good idea to let your dad's GP know too as sometimes medication can help to keep PWD calmer.

Jane56

Jan 21, 2021
Oh poor you..... it sounds horrendous. There's no easy answers to this though as you know or you would have done it... just be strong and confident in your abilities to care for your dad, mum and grandmother.
I imagine your sisters are having difficulty coming to terms with the loss of their dad who is slipping away from them mentally and physically. I'm sure you do but try to imagine what it is like from their perspective. You have the dubious honour of living with him whereas they face separation and possibly feelings of resentment and guilt. Not easy for any of you......
It sounds like you need to be a rock that holds things together so stay strong and get what rest you can when you can and keep up the good work.
Big hugs.

gm1632

Jan 7, 2021
That must be so hard!. I think asking your bro to form a united front with you against them is a good idea, like @Bunpoots

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @PerlogAnnwyl and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Differing opinions about how to help someone with dementia can cause rifts in even the most united of families. My husband and his siblings very nearly came to a major falling out over deciding how best to care for his mother. Fortunately they managed to talk it through and compromise, but if family relationships weren't good to start with you can end up with the sort of situation you are in.
Is there any way you can have a discussion via zoom or email about what your sisters actually want? Do they think they could care for their father better than your mother, think he should be in a home or do they think he hasn't got dementia and you and your mother are making it up. Like @Bunpoots I'm a bit concerned about the potential violent outbursts. Do make sure you have a safe place to go and a mobile phone on you in case you need to get help. My mother has vascular dementia and her moods could be extremely volatile. I never felt in physical danger, but I got a heap of verbal abuse from her from time to time. After she'd calmed down she never remembered it and we were back to our usual loving relationship. Mum is now in a care home as her behaviour was putting herself at risk.
You might want to contact the support line to talk through your options
0333 150 3456 and dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
We can't form a bubble with my sisters, mostly because that would be illegal. Also because we have made a bubble with my Grandmother, who lives alone(which is allowed), can't drive, physically disabled and is 83.
On this point, you can legally cancel this bubble and after two weeks form s new one with another household if the bubble rules are met.

You don't need a bubble to provide what the regulations describe as "care or assistance to a vulnerable person", provided that the care or assistance is " reasonably necessary". A disabled person aged 83 is definitely a vulnerable person. You must of course give her some form of help when visiting but I expect you do that. Also don't take anyone with you who is not there to help her. Visiting an elderly person to support them is perfectly legal.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You do not say if you and/or your mother have Power of Attorney for your Dad. If he is capable and willing to grant both of you Power of Attorney for both finance and health and welfare then his daughters cannot object to you caring for him. As his wife your Mum has every right to be caring for him anyway and if they insist that as his daughters they should be looking after him, well you are his daughter too, no matter how old you are.
I did not live with The Banjoman but we were “partners” and I was the only one he trusted to deal with his finances and all other aspects of his life and he would only agree to LPAs if I was his Attorney. When things got a little sticky with his daughters and one wanted to take over I was able to say that I was doing what their father wanted and when his ex-wife tried to push for his ‘family’ to be handling his finances his s-i-l was able to say that I was doing what he wanted. She took on the role of being his executor when I refused that one, so she knew his wishes exactly.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Although as @MartinWL says I think your sisters could visit your father if they were offering help and support, I'm not sure even if they were doing that it would be wise.
My mother in law lives over hundred miles away and my husband was going up every couple of weeks to stay with her for a few nights and help out. Her other son is her main carer and her daughters do quite a lot too. She also has carers in. Shortly after the last visit one of the carers tested positive for covid. All the children had been there in various combinations while my husband was visiting as well as the carers. Fortunately no one else seems to be affected, but of course my husband hasn't visited since.
I do think unless it is absolutely essential visiting elderly relatives is a really bad idea.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Although as @MartinWL says I think your sisters could visit your father if they were offering help and support, I'm not sure even if they were doing that it would be wise.
My mother in law lives over hundred miles away and my husband was going up every couple of weeks to stay with her for a few nights and help out. Her other son is her main carer and her daughters do quite a lot too. She also has carers in. Shortly after the last visit one of the carers tested positive for covid. All the children had been there in various combinations while my husband was visiting as well as the carers. Fortunately no one else seems to be affected, but of course my husband hasn't visited since.
I do think unless it is absolutely essential visiting elderly relatives is a really bad idea.
This has to be an individual judgement, taking account of the likelihood that the carer might be infected, and the harm that might be suffered by the elderly person including to mental health if inadequate care is provided as a result. Every case is different.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My Dad has vascular dementia. My mother and I are his primary carers. I am mainly a carer because I moved home post uni and while I do have a house lined up for me it needs work done.

I am the youngest of four siblings by a lot. The next youngest before me is 15 years older. My siblings are all my half siblings. My brother is my Mum's son. My sisters are my Dad's daughters. However, despite this my father has been my brother's defacto dad since he was 10 years old. On the other hand, my sisters don't have a good relationship with my mother.

I hope that makes sense?

The issues are my sisters.

Recently they have made life very difficult for me and Mum especially since we are in Lockdown.

My sisters keep insisting on coming up to see my Dad. Either together, or with their whole families. Outside of Covid this would be incredibly stressful as my Dad often doesn't know who they are. Additionally, they often do it suddenly without asking making my mother, this makes us uncomfortable, we feel as though we have no privacy.

When my mother told them this, they started sending borderline harrassing messages to my mother. They insisted that she let them see Dad at least once a week. When my Dad ran away the other day, they threatened to report us to social services. Social Services are involved and said we did everything we could. They've told my mother she has no right to look after my father, because they are his daughters which is more important than my mother being my father's wife.

With Covid, it's worse because while I believe my one sister is taking some precautions to isolate, I am still very nervous. I don't think my other sister is taking many precautions. This is concerning as Dad is 74 and my Mother is 64.

Other things my sisters have done:

They've argued my brother doesn't need to see my Dad at all because he isn't my Dad's biological son.

When they have been to see my Dad, neither sister has followed any government guidelines which has actually led to one Covid-scare.

They don't think I am capable to look after my Dad, treating me like I'm a child. I'm 25, nearly 26 years old. I've been living with my father while he's had dementia for just over 2 years. During his fits of violence he often belittles me and shouts at me.

I need literally any advice. I'm tired. I am at my wits end with my sisters.
I believe you're right as I remember the Prime minister saying that if you are already in a social bubble you can't change it but that said it's very difficult where family are concerned.

MaNaAk