Family acceptance of possible diagnosis

FionaP

May 8, 2021
My partner and I believe his father has early signs of dementia and we’re keen for him to see a doctor and receive a diagnosis if necessary.

However, his sister who lives much closer to the father doesn’t agree with us there is anything wrong. She’s very likely scared and a little in denial but we’d welcome some advice on working with her so she can recognise there are problems and the benefit of a diagnosis.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @FionaP
a warm welcome to DTP

it can often be that different family members have different views on how another family member is

maybe don't concentrate on possible dementia and say you're just a bit concerned about whether your father is low in some vitamins which older people can easily be, as he seems a bit sluggish, and it would be good to have him checked as a dose of vitamins is so easy to take

lots of other things can cause dementia-like symptoms eg stress, depression, vitamin B12 deficiency, even isolation ... your father's GP will do various tests to rule out such causes

maybe keep a diary of any concerns you have, any differences you have noticed in your father's abilities since 1,2,3 years ago ... so you have specific details to discuss with the GP ... they may not discuss your father's health with you, due to patient confidentiality, unless he gives permission, but the GP must note any info given them by family

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
My OH was found to be low on B12- the doctor gave him the injection of B12 and told him to go back every three months. But I didn't know and he didn't go back!

A year later I was concerned about his memory etc and I took him to the GP who promptly asked him why he hadn't been back for quarterly B12 injections- the GP said lack of B12 caused dementia symptoms and it was very important to have the injection regularly- which he does now, but his dementia is now much more advanced.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
What a useless GP, @OldFlopsy. My mums dentist apparently told her in a check up to make another appointment to have her loose crown fixed. 5 months later I asked why she was holding her jaw and she told me that. Why did they let her leave without booking the crown appointment? They looked at me strangely when I insisted on coming in to the appointment with her, CoVID or not! She won’t do anything unless I instigate it and stand over her for each stage. I was afraid they would give more throwaway instructions, which she would promptly forget again.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think it partly depends on the sort of things you are noticing about his dad. Many people think that a few memory problems are merely age related and that can be the hardest thing to change in his sister's ideas.

The Vitamin B connection is one worth investigating and one that she might accept. If there are other things that might be bothering you, then it would be worth doing a bullet point note if your concerns and forwarding it to his GP.

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
@FionaP, your post brings back so many memories! You are witnessing, so trust your instincts that there is something wrong. Okay, it might not be dementia, but it does need investigation.

When Mum first started showing signs, the person who bore the brunt was Dad. At first, as I lived nearby but not in the same house, I honestly thought Mum was just getting down because she wasn't getting out and about as much due to her age and her eyesight and Dad was just getting more moidery and obsessive about things he'd read in the paper, so Mum was sulking!

Eventually, I realised there was far more to it and that it really wasn't Dad's fault: he was just at a loss to explain what has happening. That's the trouble - nobody talks about the early stages.

When Dad died, I started looking after Mum and she began to treat me exactly as she had treated Dad. However, at that point, my brother just popped in in the evening for a brew and to lock up for her and he genuinely noticed nothing wrong! He even 'helpfully' suggested Mum and I must just be winding one another up. Mum's GP did ask my opinion when he popped in to check how she was and he agreed with me that it did sound like dementia, but said it was her choice whether to seek a diagnosis. Fortunately, Mum has a good GP and eventually, after some horrific experiences with a very questionable care agency (see below) a plan was concocted whereby the GP called in, asked a few simple questions that caught Mum out and swiftly talked her into an appointment - at last! Hurray! The comment from the nurse at Memory Clinic was '"How the heck have you guys managed so long?"

The first care agency we got for mum claimed to have lots of experience with dementia but because Mum was able to do what I now know as 'showboating' they refused to believe my concerns. In fact, I was told by the boss that Mum did not have dementia; it was all in my head and it was obviously my approach to her care that was making her depressed, not least my 'paranoia' about her becoming dehydrated. I was told I was not the best person to care for her...........so why not buy in some more of her staff's time? (strange eh?) I was also told Mum had 'confided' things to her staff such as my selling Mum's clothes; re-arranging the kitchen and putting things where she couldn't find them; letting people use her living room as an office........all of which should have been HUGE red flags with flashing lights and the word 'Dementia' spelt out in fireworks above!!!

Relatives, who popped in pre-Covid, were often treated to displays of so near-normality that they too gave me lectures on how Mum was 'so pleased' to see them and how they really lifted her mood. They saw no signs of dementia because she recognised them and knew who they were talking about (okay, when they left, mum would turn on me, accuse me of letting strangers in, complain how much they 'yapped' about people she had never heard of and how I had joined in with the conversation and she had felt left out!)

What I am trying to say here is - trust your instinct and don't let other people talk you out of it! I was so full of self-doubt, frustration, anger, confusion and despair in the first 18 months of caring for mum that I did reach a point where I considered taking my own life as the only way out, but knew that wasn't an option - as who else would look after mum and my own family? Stay calm and state your case. Prepare to not be believed and have information to hand about the very early stages of dementia. So many little adjustments can make huge differences in the early stages! We found them out with trial and error, before we saw the official advice!

The ALzheimer's Association does some really great fact sheets. Sadly, some of my relatives refused to read them because they didn't want to know and still make a dog's breakfast when they ring or try to help, but that's life! You can only do your best :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh @Seaholly , you have described exactly what it is like to care for someone with dementia. The phenomenon that you have called "showboating" is known on here as being in "Host/Hostess Mode" and I have also heard it called "showtiming". You have described it to perfection and it is the most annoying thing on earth. Even doctors, Social Workers and medical staff who are supposedly experienced in dementia can be taken in. Yes, I have not been believed either. Also expect the "Eyeball Test" - he looks fine to me........ ?