Families Affected By Dementia Must Be Better Connected

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Shedrech
I have just been ranting on various threads about the lack of visits/number of visitors allowed to care homes, so your post was very timely.
I have completed and sent the email to my councilor , tho my mum's care home is in another part of the country, but thinking the message to government will still serve some purpose . Thank you

Frank68

Jan 28, 2013
South Coast
I have just sent off the latest of these - has to be done despite the "deafening silence" of the responses! - see above). If you didn't receive this you need to sign up in the "Campaigning" section of the website.
It seems to me that many Carehome managers realise the damage being done by lockdown isolationto both residents AND their relatives. The risks CAN be managed by training and by testing a nominated relative alongside staff (which may well make the visitor SAFER THAN THE STAFF!).
So why isn't that happening? What are lockdowns now being widely imposed?
I would suggest that Councils are terrified of being accused of negligence (as the Government rightly were for over 2000 care home deaths) - but also that Carehome owners are also risk-averse. Why? - because of fear over potential litigation maybe, but also must weigh the factor of empty rooms = potential unviability for their business (a disaster for us all).
I do hope that if the long-promised but never-delivered review of care homes ever comes about then serious consideration will be given to take the care for those whose medical affliction has taken the turn of mental rather than physical illness back into the fold of public provision as a shared responsibility between NHS and Local Authority.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Frank68
I don't know if you do Facebook, but if you do , there is a group called Rights for Residents who are campaigning to have family members tested to allow safe indoor visits to care homes. They suggest lots of actions people can do to get the story in the media
Hele Whately is on radio 4 at 8pm tonight on Any Questions.
You can email a question, one sentence more likely to get chosen , to
anyquestions@bbc.co.uk
Or phone 03700 100 444 , calls cost the same as 01 or 02 , tho not sure when lines open

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep