Falls or blackouts?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mum has had several 'falls' over the past few weeks. Once she was standing still and the next things she knew she was on the floor and bleeding from the back of her head. The other time she was sat on the loo and, fortunately, didn't do herself any harm. She calls them falls but this sounds more like some sort of collapse/blackout to me.

Mum also has balance problems, she says that the ground seems to be moving and 'everything is all different shapes'.

She had a brain scan recently and we are waiting for an appointment with the Memory Clinic consultant. If s/he doesn't think this is related to Mum's memory problems, we will go and see the GP.

Does this fit in with what any of you know? I think Mum might have Tempero-Frontal (or Fronto-Temporal) dementia but, as I said, this has not been officially diagnosed yet. I'm just trying to see if anyone else experiences this 'different shapes' thing.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hopefully, the brain scan will tell you something. My mum had a couple of falls like that a few years ago, and it turned out to be TIAs. She doesn't have dementia, and seems to be fine since.
I seem to remember from training that often people with dementia see things a bit distorted - which is why dementia friendly care homes etc don't have patterned floor coverings.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Mum had one of those a couple of years ago; she had a few tests and they said it "might" have been a tia. She had a couple more of those types of fall and the final one in June when she was climbing the stairs and came down head first. Turned out her heart wasn't beating properly; they fitted a pacemaker and she is a hell of a lot better physically and a bit mentally too, (although thath seems to have been temporary).

Earthangel

Feb 8, 2014
South Yorkshire
Mum has had several 'falls' over the past few weeks. Once she was standing still and the next things she knew she was on the floor and bleeding from the back of her head. The other time she was sat on the loo and, fortunately, didn't do herself any harm. She calls them falls but this sounds more like some sort of collapse/blackout to me.

Mum also has balance problems, she says that the ground seems to be moving and 'everything is all different shapes'.

She had a brain scan recently and we are waiting for an appointment with the Memory Clinic consultant. If s/he doesn't think this is related to Mum's memory problems, we will go and see the GP.

Does this fit in with what any of you know? I think Mum might have Tempero-Frontal (or Fronto-Temporal) dementia but, as I said, this has not been officially diagnosed yet. I'm just trying to see if anyone else experiences this 'different shapes' thing.

My mum has moderate mixed Vascular and Alzheimers Dementia, she started falling in June, she did have a urinary infection, but she went in the hospital and she has Postural Hypotension i.e. her blood pressure drops and she cockles over. She is on Medodrine and hasn't fallen since. She does feel dizzy and her walking varies from day to day. I got her a fall alarm, but she won't wear it, nothing wrong with her H'mm - she is 81 and is a typical 50's lady - home has to be immaculate and garden fit for the queen, but can't manage medication, sometimes struggles with door locks and I suspect doesn't eat much at the weekend, when I am not there, but won't accept carers - only wants me... just blogged early, need to make some decisions.

Earthangel

Feb 8, 2014
South Yorkshire
Falls or blackouts

Suspect my mum's heart isn't right either, but ECG showed it was OK. GP didn't think so, but mum won't go to the doctors for a 24 ECG. She is really anti doctors etc.... don't think she would have a pacemaker fitted.....

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
That's a very difficult situation for you Earthangel :( Although my Mum doesn't have much insight into her memory problems, she has always enjoyed being ill, so she is quite happy to go the GP, have tests etc.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi Slugsta my husband has had quite a few falls his blood pressure is very low 73/60 he even passes out when sitting down could it be the same problem xx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Slugsta - my dad's multiple falls were caused by multiple factors - getting frailer, the dementia with its attendant 'gait' and very probably TIAs. (He told me once he 'fainted' in the street - looking back that was probably a TIA.) It is quite true that people with dementia may not see as you or I would. My husband runs art workshops with dementia sufferers, and sometimes one will say to him, 'B---, I can't see what I'm doing any more,' and he'll have to move their project and it comes back into view - lots of little things like that. I think we tend to want 'a diagnosis,' so we know what to do, but it may be you don't get one clear-cut answer. Good luck, hun.