falling

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Can anyone help with this question? Mum is falling and injuring herself. Last night's injuries wasn't as bad as a few weeks ago.

Mum has been found on the floor of her room during the night, the falls having caused lots of bruising.

The home does have a crash mattress, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job.

My question is:- Is it possible to pad the whole floor of Mum's room in the nursing home?

If this is possible, How?? Any suggestions??

I have thought of Judo mats or similar. I woul;d be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Alfjess

Sorry to hear of this new worry. So many people in John's unit are constantly falling, they have spectacular black eyes! Sometimes I'm glad John's immobile.

The person to advise you is Bruce, I know he set up a soft room for Jan in her NH.

Perhaps you could PM him? He's usually online early in the morning.

Love,

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Hazel

People in Mums home have bruises, I suppose it is part of the illness, unsteady and falling.

Mum has fallen in her room at night and I am looking for a way to minimize the damage.

She is so very frail now it is terrifying.

I have PMed Bruce

Thanks
love
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've been looking for Bruce's thread for you, but I can't find it. He used to have a thread running in Younger People, and I'm sure he posted a photo of the soft room.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be able to tell you in the morning.

Some of the ladies in John's unit are frail like that, their hands are like birds', you're almost frightened to touch them. And yet they have such spirit! They're the feistiest of them all!

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I think Bruce and others including me have suggested a matress on the floor.
It sounds silly, but it does prevent falling.
My step dad had this, and he did not hurt himself.
If he fell out of bed, well he just rolled onto the floor. No pain, and no bruising.

Barb XX

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
My mother is extremely restleass at night and at high risk of falling. The NH have got her two thick mattresses which they put on the floor. She seems to sleep quite well and if she does move (she has lost the use of her left leg) then she can only move across the mattresses or a bit of carpet. I hate her sleeping like this but she's much less at risk of injury

Jase

Sep 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Alfjess
I'm new to the site and sadly don't know very much about your circumstances.
I was wondering how mobile your mum is? An alternative would be padded cot sides on the bed- this is not suitable though if the person was someone who would try to climb out.
Sorry if it's of little use to you at present x

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi Alfjess,

My Mum had a fall a couple weeks ago which resulted in 2 spectacular black eyes, the nursing home tested her for a urinary tract infection which was positive (these can cause them to have falls)
They put her on anti-biotics and have moved her bed up against the wall so she can only fall out of 1 side and put down a pressure mat which rings an alarm. Hope they can find something to help your Mum too.

kaz

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I don't think Mum is falling out of bed, I think she is getting out of bed and tripping or falling. The nursing home do have crash mattresses and pressure alarm pads. They are doing their best.

I PM ed Bruce and received a reply, but what he has set up for Jan, I don't think would work for Mum (she is still mobile, although unsteady)

I have spent to-day looking for safe flooring and the best I can come up with is the Jigsaw Tiles 40mm thick, or exercise mats, 2m x 1m x 40mm. which would have to be taped together, not the perfect solution, but must be better than falling on a solid floor.

Tomorrow, I will put my proposition to the management of the home, that I pad Mum's floor.

Of course this will only protect her a little while she is in her room, not while she is walking the corridors. We can but try:(

Thanks again everyone and I will let you all know the outcome

Alfjess

Jase

Sep 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Alfjess
I want to be careful here because I don't want to sound negative, all I would want to do is support.
It is worth considering if the mats may cause more of a trip hazard for your mum due to joins. Although you may selotape them together there may be a slight change in level therefore a trip hazard for someone who is already unsteady.
Good luck with it, just wanted to raise your awareness to this if you hadn't already considered it x

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Jase

The sort of thing I have in mind, (now that I have had time to investigate,) is, 1m x 1m x 40mm, interlocking tiles, which will cover the whole floor.
Hopefully there would be no uneven surface, to trip upon.

I put this proposition to the clinical service manager yesterday and the response was less than enthusiatstic.

To give them their due probably, no one has ever requested this before and they will have to investigate these tiles,to see that they meet HSE requirements.

I am now awaiting a decision from the general manager of the home.

Hope he decides soon, before Mum has another fall.
Will let you know the outcome

Take care all
Alfjess

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher