Falling issues

Cherbills

Feb 1, 2016
Mom fell 2 times during the night didn't get hurt but it is just a matter of time. She is very weak but insists on not using the walker, what should my next step be.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Mom fell 2 times during the night didn't get hurt but it is just a matter of time. She is very weak but insists on not using the walker, what should my next step be."

Introduce sensors/pressure mats to alert you when she is on the move.
Remove any rugs or other trip hazards.
Try to remove or reposition any object with hard/sharp edges that she could fall onto.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Mom fell 2 times during the night didn't get hurt but it is just a matter of time. She is very weak but insists on not using the walker, what should my next step be.

Does your mother live alone, or does she live with you?

What kind of walker is it? Does it have two wheels or four?

How far along is her dementia?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Does your mother live alone, or does she live with you?

What kind of walker is it? Does it have two wheels or four?

How far along is her dementia?"

Two questions answered

My mom is in late stage dementia and My husband and I have been living with her for 2 years, giving up our own lives and not living in our own home.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ful-daughter&p=1229137&viewfull=1#post1229137

Not sure if the type of walker matters if she won't use it.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA

If your mother lives there with you, I suggest your using a motion detector with a remote alarm, so you can hear when her feet hit the floor. Others will suggest pads on the bed or on the floor. The ones on the bed are felt and can prove annoying. The ones on the floor can themselves produce tripping and falling. The motion detector can be situated in an unobtrusive way, and it will reliably signal to you in another room that she's up and about.

Another thing we used when my mother was ambulatory was - and is still - a video/audio monitor. The camera eye is on her at all times; it swivels; and it allows me to see when the room is pitch dark what she is doing. I love it.

Finally, if she is falling when you are not there, do you know if she is having seizures and then falling, or just falling from lack of stability/balance. When my mother was first diagnosed, and even since, she had seizures, which indicated that her medicine needed to be changed. A walker won't help if she is having seizures.

I disagree with nitram on the walker idea. My mother LOVED her four-wheeled walker, a rollator walker, which we called her "hot rod." She refused to use the traditional style walker, as it signaled old age. :)

I will post links if you want to know the equipment we used/use.