Fall detectors - anyone used one?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I have been researching fall detectors. Essentially, they are small units that clip to a person's clothing and detect sharp jolts and lack of movement follwing said jolt. Has anyone used anything like this? I'm lookings at the tunstall model, becasue I believe, and I'd obviously have to check, that that is the alarm system at my mother's place. If you have any comments on that specific system please PM me. However, any general thoughts on similar systems I think can go here.

On the whole, I'm a little wary about relying on technology, but I think this might work.

Jennifer

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Jennifer, I can't applaud you enough for what you do for your mum from such a distance ...

Mum has a 'Care on Call' system (generic UK name, I believe) ... alongside 'panic buttons' in her bedroom and living room ..... requires her to wear a necklace, which, if she falls, she *only* has to press the button on said necklace and it alerts the 'Care Centre' and nominated 'keyholders' - (me and her neighbour) ..... getting her to wear the necklace is another matter ..... reminding her where the 'panic buttons' are???? ..... and her ability to ever know to 'press the button' .......?

Technology is only as good as the people who design it, or more importantly those who have to use it, let alone start to 'rely' on it ..... ..... what non-technological support is there for someone ensuring your mum always has such a device (marvellous as it sounds in theory) clipped to her clothing? Daytime/night-time......?

Just thoughts, Love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I know what you mean - Mummy has call bells, buttons, pull cords and pendants, and to the best of my knowledge, she's never managed to use any of them! Getting it on her wouldn't be a problem - keeping it on her well might be. This particular system also uses a "passive" system for night-times - when you get out of bed, the system senses that and if you don't return within a set amount of time, it sends an alarm. I'd have to find out how much time, though - bathroom breaks can take a while! Still, if it could be set for, say 1/2 hr, it would mean that would be the maximum she would be on the floor if she did fall, which is about as good as one could expect. The idea is not to stop her falling (although that would obviously be best) but to ensure that if she does fall, she's not "down" for very long. Having trolled around the internet, there are a few LA's using these detectors, so the idea isn't completely out there.

I do wish there was someway to stop the falls, period. However, speaking as someone who, at 50, has her knees give out on her with no warning when walking down stairs, and who has learnt to grip the banisters like grim death, I imagine there isn't any way. Put her in some kind of bubble, perhaps? :) Bounce Bounce

Jennifer

Zadok

Mar 15, 2006
Kent
technology

mum had a pressure pad in bed for a while. It worked well at first. Mum denied ever having heard about it but in fact for several weeks she would get up in the night and if she didn't return in the allotted time (My technician worked out with me how long was reasonable) it would activate a call. Then someone would speak to mum, tell her it was bedtime and she'd go back to bed. Then after a while she resented the 'voice' and refused to answer. That alerted me and I had to get dressed and go out to see if she was OK. Its not far by car but it really disturbs your sleep! Then we worked out that it was OK for her to be up if she wanted to.................the real worry for me was if she went outside and wandered around the village. So we had an alarm fitted to the front door. It only operates between the hours we choose and will alert if she goes out then. Its almost like a reverse burglar alarm. I know she is safe and it gives her the freedom to wander indoors if she isn't sleepy. It doesn't solve the fall problem but might be helpful for other TP members.