Fall Detection Devices

Bay21

Jul 31, 2013
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good fall detection system? My Dad lives alone and is becoming unsteady on his feet. I'd ideally like one he doesn't have to activate by pushing a button, had a quick google and quite a few came up so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try asking the LA.
They will most likely have some kind of arrangement with a provider possibly offering a discounted service or even free provision.

patbryn

Mar 22, 2019
Wales
We have a panic button, each time mum has fallen she never presses the button, imagine the shock of falling, the confusion, pressing a button will be the last thing on their mind. same thing happened with my aunty, she fell was on the floor twelve hours and still did no press the panic button. You can buy auto dial machines then no yearly bill for the telecare service.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konig-te...rentrq:f6130c841690a688c1d6f585fff5fee6|iid:1

CMS91

Jul 22, 2019
Vodafone sell one call the SOS band. Its a watch and very light for the person to wear. It will detect when they fall and send you their location

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good fall detection system? My Dad lives alone and is becoming unsteady on his feet. I'd ideally like one he doesn't have to activate by pushing a button, had a quick google and quite a few came up so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
Hi.We have one here in Cornwall called Lifeline.My parents have one .It is attached to the telephone line and operated by the wrist or a necklace.They press a button and it dials it straight through.My father pays for his but not my mother as she is on Pension Credit.Ask your Local Council they will be able to help you.

Bay21

Jul 31, 2013
Oh this might work for us, thank you for responding

Vodafone sell one call the SOS band. Its a watch and very light for the person to wear. It will detect when they fall and send you their location

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My local Dementia service has rented me a wrist worn fall detector for my OH and it looks very attractive. Unfortunately it has proved too sensitive and if she wears it when doing house work and she knocks it the alarm is activated as it is indeed even when getting into bed where she tends to plump herself down very heavily. The other downside is there is only one, phone connnected receiver / caller, and that is by the phone point in the lounge so, if the device is activated upstairs it means a Gallup down stairs to answer the call centre and so prevent telephone alerts being sent to family members or even carers turning up using the key safe and so attended a false alarm. I am so disappointed as she now refuses to wear it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Weve got a lifeline watch and pendant, but OH refuses to wear it and its still on the desk where the man who installed it onto our phone left it.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't think these type of devices work too well for people with dementia. My mother had a Linkline tracking pendant to find her should she wander outside (different application, but similar type of device). When the carers left for the day they would put it on her, and as soon as they'd gone she promptly removed it. When they returned for the next session, she was never wearing it.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My local Dementia service has rented me a wrist worn fall detector for my OH and it looks very attractive. Unfortunately it has proved too sensitive and if she wears it when doing house work and she knocks it the alarm is activated as it is indeed even when getting into bed where she tends to plump herself down very heavily. The other downside is there is only one, phone connnected receiver / caller, and that is by the phone point in the lounge so, if the device is activated upstairs it means a Gallup down stairs to answer the call centre and so prevent telephone alerts being sent to family members or even carers turning up using the key safe and so attended a false alarm. I am so disappointed as she now refuses to wear it.
You can get one for around the neck . Maybe that would be easier?

Nimmo Nim

Jan 29, 2020
Hmmm... my mum doesn't (or forgets to) use her 'press it' call button when she falls, too. So Social Services are recommending switch to a motion-sensor fall alarm. But I've heard it said that these are not appropriate/sufficiently reliable for home use. What do people think, who have them? Is there a 'too sensitive/cry wolf' problem, where an alert is raised every time the user goes to the toilet or gets up to make a cup of tea? Have they worked/failed in people's experience of a real emergency? Really want to know!

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
… Social Services are recommending switch to a motion-sensor fall alarm. But I've heard it said that these are not appropriate/sufficiently reliable for home use. What do people think, who have them?

My dad has one of these, supplied by the Lifeline service in Poole. As far as I know there have been no false alarms. On the other hand, his carers have found him on the floor at least once when the alarm hadn't activated.

I have the impression it requires a "hard" fall; if someone crumples gently onto the carpet (and Dad wasn't hurt on this occasion) the device may not operate. And as others have said, the chances of a person with dementia remembering to press the button are pretty slim.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hello,

I got one from local council Social Services and it is an attractive wrist watch type and a speaker is fitted into our living room and, if OH falls or knocks it very hard the call up via the speaker for 2 way conversation. If no reply then they call whatever numbers you left with them by way of checking and if not satisfied they send help and enter by way of key safe. Costs £10 per month but well worth it.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have a YI camera that I am happy with.
The newer model than mine has a baby crying feature.
They cost very little money on Amazon.
If the person fell it may trigger the baby crying feature, and it would text you?
Maybe other posters have the newer model?
i have it trained on the kettle, that way I can think ‘ so why haven’t you made any tea recently’
you would require broadband in the property for this to work.
we have carelink ( Pendant around neck) it costs a load of money, I just show mum the bill and that makes her wear the pendant.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
… it is an attractive wrist watch type …

Ah yes, my dad's is a pendant. One worn on the wrist might be better for detecting falls. Interesting thought.

I can't speak too highly of the Poole Lifeline staff. They've been round several times for emergencies, plus Dad's for ever calling them for no good reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo