Failed memory test

lynsie doherty

Sep 5, 2019
My mum has been quite confused so we took her to the GP for some bloods today, he did a memory test it was so bad I think she only got one question right. Does this mean she does have dementia? He is going to refer her to a memory clinic. She is 59 has a fair few health issues and has been through a really difficult over the past 6 months with family issues and health

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @lynsie doherty and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A poor result on the memory tests only means that it may be dementia. Is the GP referring her her to the memory clinic? They will do other tests there, including an MRI and blood tests (if the GP hasnt done them), and from the results they will come up with a diagnosis.

lynsie doherty

Sep 5, 2019
A poor result on the memory tests only means that it may be dementia. Is the GP referring her her to the memory clinic? They will do other tests there, including an MRI and blood tests (if the GP hasnt done them), and from the results they will come up with a diagnosis.
Yes he has done a referral but said it can take a couple of months and he has carried out blood tests