Failed Australian immigration application due to Alzheimer's

jonmagill

Jan 19, 2012
Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Mum came over to Oz in September 2013 and we lodged an on shore aged parent visa application. Originally we thought it would take years to process as the wait is currently 13 yrs! She has been living with us since then
Immigration requested the medical just before Christmas last year and today we have found out her application is unfavourable
You can see from the history she was diagnosed in 2008 and has got progressively worse to the point where she can't remember to take meds and only eats when you give her food- she's now almost 69
She says there is nothing wrong with her, has constantly wanted to return to the uk since arriving, so it looks like her wish is coming true
I'd like some advice please on how long it takes to get an ACAT assessment for placement in preparation for when I travel back with her. Is this something we can start with her sister from over here?
Any advice also on appropriate care facilities in Manchester as she will go and be close to her sister

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
Hi, I'm not an expert and I'm not sure what an ACAT assessment is, but I'm sorry you and your mum are going through this.
In terms of appropriate accommodation, the first question is whether or not your mum will be self funding. If so, you can chose an appropriate facility and they might be able to use an assessment of your mother's needs made in Australia.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I believe that ACAT means Aged Care Assessment Tool which would roughly translate to Community Care Assessment.

Before this can be started you Mum would have to be resident in the UK and have registered with a GP.

If she has capital assets of over £23250 she would have to be self funding unless she has sufficient medical needs to be eligible for Continuing Health Care.

If you can post whether she has capital over £23250 it would simplify describing the assessment and placement process.

EDIT
If you or her sister put her sister's postcode in
http://www.carehome.co.uk/care_search.cfm
you will get a flavour of what is available in her sister's area.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Any advice also on appropriate care facilities in Manchester as she will go and be close to her sister

Which part of Manchester, it is a large city and made up of 10 different local authorities all independent and all with their own version of the rules, would ity be Manchester City, Trafford, Bolton, Bury ect or don't you know?
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
From previous posts - north.
I thought the same and gave the post code search.

jonmagill

Jan 19, 2012
Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Hi, I'm not an expert and I'm not sure what an ACAT assessment is, but I'm sorry you and your mum are going through this.
In terms of appropriate accommodation, the first question is whether or not your mum will be self funding. If so, you can chose an appropriate facility and they might be able to use an assessment of your mother's needs made in Australia.

Thank you
She has limited assets so not in that fortunate position, hence the reason for having her live with us in Australia
ACAT is the aged care assessment for placement into residential care

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As she will not be self funding have a read through:-

Alzheimer's Society fact sheet
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2710

Government document
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...hment_data/file/301250/CRAG_34_April_2014.pdf

This system will largely be replaced by The Care Act 2014 in April 2016
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/268683/Factsheet_6_update__tweak_.pdf
note that all caps are based on the Local Authority estimates of fair costs and not the actual charges by care homes.

Living in Greater Manchester will also add another complication.
In April 2016 a combined budget for both health and social care will be devolved to Greater Manchester Council and the 9 surrounding unitary authorities, the full effects of this change are unknown/.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/a...chester_and_govt_reach_trailblazing_agreement

EDIT
Just changed the link for devomanc as I checked and the one I had would probably be blocked in Australia

Last edited:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
When we brought mum back from Oz, we discovered that we would have to wait for 2 years before she was entitled to any attendance allowance. Check carefully about your mum's entitlement to services. We were lucky that mum was self funding and it wasn't a huge problem, but it could be if your mum is not.

Last edited:

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Have you appealed to have her stay in Australia on compassionate grounds? I am not sure how you would go about this but someone from Legal Aid might point you in the right direction. I'm sure it is worth a try if you want her to stay here in Australia.

Once you have the facts on what would happen on her return to England you can point out that returning her to England would greatly disadvantage her and see if that is an appeal grounds.

Sue.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Attendance Allowance is not payable if the person is not self funding.

Yes, of course. Sorry. It was just giving an example, really.

Re what Sunray has just posted: If your mum's doctor deemed her unfit to travel, then surely they would have to allow her to stay. My mum took a serious downturn on/after our flight back to UK. She never returned to her pre-journey state at all.

Last edited:

Aussiesheila

Jul 13, 2013
I also live in Australia, my Mums application was successful and she has been here 4 years - she has just entered a care home as her dementia and frailty became too hard for me to manage at home - she is fortunate to be self funding. However, I have a friend who was in a similar situation with her father - I understand they appealed the decision via their doctor who felt he was medically unfit to fly.