Facial droop

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
My wife has a facial droop on the left side of her face affecting the eye and corner of the mouth but otherwise seems to bei in good health.
She has had it before and then it corrected itself.
Has anyone experienced this drooping?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It needs investigating Del24. Facial drooping as you describe is one of the signs of stroke damage. In a minor stroke, the damage can correct itself - but usually, these types of stroke are considered "warnings", and you should consult a doctor. Of course, there could be some other cause for the drooping. But you really need to bring it to the attention of your wife's doctors.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Bell's palsy also produces symptoms like those you describe. Worth googling, particularly the images. But I'm sure you will want to consult the GP.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Del24
I agree with Lady A and stanleypj, have your wife's GP check her out tomorrow, especially if this is something new - is she able to lift her left arm (as much as she usually can)? - same with talking

It may not be linked to a stroke - but best to check - as my dad has an eye that closes and droops when he is tired or anxious or agitated (it's one sign for him that trouble may be brewing) - he had a few TIAs and also has Parkinson's so it's always tricky to know what is linked to what

I think it's always wise to keep the GP up to date anyway - and it will set your mind at rest

best wishes

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Most likely is that she's had a stroke. The fact that she's had it before and it 'corrected' itself suggests she has possibly had a series of mini strokes and TIAs (Trans Ischemic Attacks).

My Mum has mixed Dementia but I believe the emphasis is on Vascular Dementia and she had several TIAs back in April, following a more significant one the previous August. We called the ambulance the first two times but the decision was made not to take her to hospital as she got very distressed at the thought of going. Also, as she has Dementia, they wouldn't have been able to give her any treatment anyway (they usually give some kind of drug which 'flushes through' the clots in the brain but this is apparently not given in the case of Dementia sufferers - I have no idea why).

Each time she's had a stroke she's had drooping to her mouth and once lost the power to grip with her right hand (she's left handed). And each time these things 'corrected' themselves within a few hours or by the following morning. Once her mouth was back to normal by the time the ambulance crew arrived.

Each time her Dementia has got a little worse after each stroke, resulting in her being very confused and sometimes not knowing who I was. After a few months this has happened less and less, although her general cognitive skills continue to decline.

So it sounds to me like this is the most likely explanation for what has happened to your wife I'm afraid, but you really should seek medical advice.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Agree - a call to the GP for an appointment just to check it out would be a good idea. If your wife has vascular dementia this could be a TIA but they are usually accompanied by slurred speech or some limited movement even if only for a short while - not always but usually.

Bells Palsy is a classic and not a worry in most cases but I still think it would be worth a GP call out or appointment for BP and general MOT x

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I don't want to alarm you, but if it has occurred today, you really should get a Dr to check her this evening and not wait until Monday. I suggest you ring 111 and talk through her symptoms with them tonight. I would be very surprised if they didn't send an emergency GP out this evening. The advice is you are always given re strokes or mini strokes is to act NOW. Even if it is a small TIA , it could be an early warning of something more to come. Remember the tv campaign- the faster you act , the more of the person you save.
No one will think you are wasting their time.

JackieJames

Dec 31, 2014
USA
My mother had a mild stroke and one symptom was facial drooping which went away within a week. What the others re saying is good advice. Get her to doctor as soon as you can. There are drugs (blood thinners) that your wife can be given. The sooner, the better. Take care.

PetAng59

Oct 11, 2020
Barnsley
My husband has early alzheimers, the left side of his mouth is slightly drooped, it has been like it for several months, I have never noticed any stroke symptoms, however my daughter took a selfie with him yesterday and it really shows up on the photo, I think it's just the ways he holds his mouth sometimes but my daughter is worrying now that it may be the result of a mini stroke. I have just looked at him now and he looks fine. Any advice?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm no doctor and your husband's GP is the best person to talk to about. My friend has some sort of nerve damage around his face which he thinks is related to a tooth / gum infection he had last summer. He has had to endure a lot of MRI scans and investigation though which may be hard work for someone with dementia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If its been like that for several months @PetAng59 then there is no real emergency. It could be the result of a small stroke, or Bells palsy, or the result of an infection of the nerve. ...... By this stage you may never find out and TBH, its not really important as I doubt that anyone will try and treat it.