Face Masks

Looseleaf

Mar 22, 2020
Even after nearly 2 years of wearing face masks my OH still gets very angry with me most times when I gently remind him he needs to wear one. In his muddled reaction he is very rude to me about my request. This will even happen in front of other people. This makes it very difficult to handle as he will often rush out of the building and I have to follow. On occasions, perhaps when we are just walking to a cafe table and I haven't worried about his face mask, passers by have then made comments to him about the lack. Conversely at other times he will sit watching the TV wearing his mask!

Even though precautions are being relaxed it seems that Face Masks are going to be with us for a while yet. Is Alzheimer's a reason for exemption? Is there something visible that shows a person is exempt?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Looseleaf

Yes PWD are exempt from wearing a face mask if they have a good reason or don’t understand why they should. This should answer your questions

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Looseleaf , the Sunflower Lanyard indicates the person has a hidden disability. You can get them free from a lot of places - mums bank had them and some supermarkets do also.

Looseleaf

Mar 22, 2020
Thank you all that has given me confidence not to continue trying to encourage my PWD to wear a Face Mask. I have ordered a Sunflower Lanyard and card. I am not sure that he will wear it but I can have it handy to show any person who challenges him about not wearing a face mask. Many thanks again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband wears a lanyard, he has COPD as well as vascular dementia. i nick-named it his necklace and ask if hes put it on. he laughs then but he finds wearing it better than having snide remarks and stares directed at him. they have a card attached to it saying hidden disability and exempt.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
There is no law requiring a person who is exempt to carry a lanyard or to explain to anyone why he/she is exempt. The lanyard might save a bit of debate.

Looseleaf

Mar 22, 2020
Thank you but it very seems to be more the fact my OH resents the fact I am asking him to do something rather than the wearing of the mask. I am very careful the whole time not to nag him as ironically it was how I observed him with his mother who had Alzheimers! If he wishes to put marmalade on his cereal he can etc. He is happy to sit in his mask watching TV!

I am careful and limit where we go. is good that at least things are hopefully getting better and there will be less worry about him catching Covid.

Looseleaf

Mar 22, 2020
Yes it will be good to have the lanyard, at least with me,if any comments are passed I can produce it.