Face masks: should a person with dementia wear them?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother won't use or tolerate anything 'unfamiliar' - she won't use a walking aid, when she was still at home she removed her tracking pendant as soon as the carer was out of sight, and she repeatedly removed her drip in hospital (when she broke her hip) so they ended up just taking it out. I doubt a mask would survive more than 20 seconds, but fortunately as she's in a care home she's unlikely to need to wear one.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This has been mentioned elsewhere on DTP, I don't see any harm in reposting it here.
You can purchase a 'Hidden disabilities face covering exempt card'
facecover2.jpg

You can also get a distinctive lanyard with plastic wallet
new_idcard_1.jpg

I realise that not everybody would be happy wearing the lanyard.

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Well folks I don't think we need to worry to much about wearing mask in supermarkets because I have just come from my local Asda and it appears that many people are exempt. Most males under the age of 30 didn't have masks on and many of the older age bracket didn't either.

I actually felt a bit out of place wearing mine.

I don't suppose the staff can enforce the rule but if they did the shop would have been half empty.

I was actually quite amazed at how many people seemed to be oblivious to the whole mask wearing thing and as for those wearing their masks around their necks and under their chins, I really don't know what else to say other than it's no wonder that the virus is still spreading.

It just seemed to me like I had wasted my time even bothering to get a mask.

Are some people special or something, I am actually quite cross about it now.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'm also noticing lack of social distancing and now I hear that there could be a second wave coming sooner than I anticipated!

MaNaAk

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My daughter went to both B&M and Asda this morning.

In
B&M hardly anybody was wearing a mask and it was all hustle and bustle with a one way system in place and being ignored, there was no queue although barriers were in place. There was no sign of hand gel and trolley cleaning stations.

In Asda everybody, including staff, was wearing a mask, all the one way signs and floor markings had been removed, it was fairly quiet and ordered. They appear to be operating on 1m+ rather than 2m. All queue barriers had been removed, the way in and way out were clearly defined and equipped with gel and sanitiser.
They are modifying and increasing the self scan checkouts so that trolleys can be taken through, the ordinary checkouts are being reduced and set further apart, they had only been using alternate positions. The scan and go checkout area has not being changed. No wonder they have not gone back to 24hr opening, it must be chaos overnight.
They obviously think that the old normal is not going to return soon.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I first wore a mask in my local Tesco last Saturday, after the new rule was brought in. I didn't see any customer who wasn't wearing a mask. The majority of the staff also wore them, even though they hadn't before. I do think masks can create a problem in their own right - as Duggies-girl says, people may be wearing them, but have them around their chins or necks. From what I've seen, people who've long been wearing masks are more likely to keep shifting them; whereas those who are following the new rules are largely using the masks in the safest way. Personally, although I'd hated the idea of having to wear a mask, I felt comfortable with mine. Also, I followed the tip of placing your glasses in soapy water and leaving them to air dry. It may be coincidence but it worked for me, as my glasses didn't steam up at all, and I had no problem reading things. In town on the Sunday, very few people were wearing masks in the street but, of the two shops we used, again everyone was wearing a mask. I carry a mini bottle of sanitiser around with me so I can use it before putting my mask on, and again before removing it.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I noticed teenagers in Tescos without masks and the same teenagers oblivious to the fact that I was standing outside the shop where customers normally queue!

MaNaAk

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I wish they had left the one way systems in place in the supermarket and in my local Supermarket a queue down the last aisles to the tills. Now it is a case of queue to the till up the aisles so no social distancing possible. Will have to try another one. Last week people were wearing masks so will see what happens this week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015