Face mask

Kind J

Apr 18, 2020
Hey,
First time posting, so apologies if this has already been asked.
My father has Alzheimers and is also grieving the loss of my Mum recently. He has deteriorated further during the pandemic, due to the isolation/loneliness.
Generally I’ve been able to care for him and do everything I can to help him (he doesn’t live with me)
My current problem is whether my father will be expected to wear a face mask in public? (from compulsory date) He only goes to the paper shop every morning, but I know that he will forget to put one on. If he needs to go anywhere else, then I take him myself.
He is a very headstrong individual and this is only exacerbated by his disease. Many aspects of life with him take much negotiation, distraction and a few white lies ...

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Kind J The are a number of exemptions in relation to wearing face coverings and some will be relevant to those with dementia so don't worry about your father having to wear one.

The government guidance (England) includes: You also do not need to wear a face covering if you have a good reason not to. This includes:
if you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering or
if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...ance-for-passengers#exemptions-face-coverings

(The guidance for Scotland is similar but I'm not sure if Wales have published their guidance yet)

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Are the staff in the paper shop aware that your dad has dementia and if they are not, it may be worth your while popping in to make sure they know and then there won't be any misunderstandings about mask wearing or not as in your dads case.

Kind J

Apr 18, 2020
Are the staff in the paper shop aware that your dad has dementia and if they are not, it may be worth your while popping in to make sure they know and then there won't be any misunderstandings about mask wearing or not as in your dads case.
Thank you. It’s definitely worth trying

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think dementia would definitely be a good reason for exemption. It's a good idea to explain to the staff.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
For info, today's government guidance relating to face coverings (England) includes printable 'face covering exempt' cards & badges. The guidance states that the card/badge is down to personal choice, they are not mandatory:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I've got an exemption card (I'm asthmatic). I think they're a good idea in that it's visible 'proof' if you are questioned - although, as the link says, you shouldn't be.

The problem with using them for someone with dementia is that if they go out on their own, they will not remember to take them out with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR