Eyes

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Has anyone any experience or advice please. Mum, who has AD, has complained of 'funny eyes' now and again over the last few months. She had her cataracts done a few years ago and can see better than me..... but she sometimes experiences days when she finds it difficult to focus and feels wobbly, we have taken her to the docs on several occasions and they can find nothing wrong, her medication has remained the same for a while, apart from them changing her warfarin dose over the last two weeks as her INR level was wrong, but the problem has occurred before this and she has been on warfarin for years without any problems. The doc and I put it down to her becoming anxious over various things but on the last couple of occasions she said she was not worried about anything. Does anyone have any ideas thanks.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
just a couple of possibilities we experienced.

Firstly Jan developed some bad 'floaters' in one eye. the doctor said nothing could be done about it. Perhaps her brain was unable to cope with seeing past the floater as her condition developed.

Secondly, dementia can affect the ability of the brain to interpret what the eyes see. This can lead to problems in spatial awareness, or even complete effective blindness.

These are only what we have seen and may have no relevance for your situation....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Nels, perhaps the Optician might have a better idea than the GP.

I had cataract surgery 7 years ago. My lens was replaced with a prescription lens. In the beginning, my vision was where it was when I was 17, but it has slowly deteriorated over the years. I also get occasional blurred vision, when reading and sometimes don`t seem able to focus.

My optician said even after cataract surgery, the lens begins to thicken again, after a while.

This is only my personal experience. With the addition of AD, there might be a completely different reason for your mum`s `funny eyes`.

But I would recommend a visit to the optician, just to eliminate an actual eye problems.

Please post with an up date. It would help to know.

Take care

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Nels
My husband like your Mum has his eyes done quite a few years ago and had no problems until he started to be ill with AD.
Over the last year or so has complained the the television has started to roll or the picture is fuzzy, he will then say it`s not happening really but it looks like that to him.
He also says things look wobbly and when we go out he sometimes has to sit down because he say`s everything is going round and round.
So maybe it is part of the illness in some people, I am going to ask the Doctor at his next visit in a few weeks.
Will let you know how we get on.
Regards Roseann

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello: My husband also complains of 'not being able to focus' on tv etc. His eyes have been tested more frequently than is required and there is no problem on testing. Occasionally he seems to get 'wobbling' or shadows on the pictures. However, he reads apparently without a problem.
I do think it is something to do with 'tricks of the brain'.
However as GrannieG says it is always worth an eye test and then checking out with GP.

Not sure if this helps. Beckyjan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
She doesn't have high blood pressure? My mother used to complain of funny vision when her pressure was high.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
jenniferpa said:
She doesn't have high blood pressure? My mother used to complain of funny vision when her pressure was high.

My mum also experienced this, and when she had TIAs the first sign was that everything went black (her description). Worth considering?

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Grannie G Hi Nels, perhaps the Optician might have a better idea than the GP.
Hi Nels
my wife has this problem,I found an optician who understood dementia.
The problem is that the focus part of the brain is affected by the dementia.
My wife also now has cataracts, so we now have two problems
Norman

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Thank you all for your replies. Mum does not have high blood pressure, in fact hers is better than mine! Last time I was at the hospital for me it was so high they took it 4 times and kept me there until it had gone done a bit. Will try the opticians but it seems that it maybe related to the AD from your experiences. Thanks again.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Leaflets from the RNIB

Hi Nels,

The Royal National Institute for the Blind offers a couple of leafltets on Dementia and sight loss and improving environments for people with dementia.

Booklet: Dementia and sight loss in older people
Details: This leaflet is aimed at anyone who supports a person with dementia and provides information and advice around issues of sight loss.
Link: http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=462&sc=33&id=263&it=2&l=3

Booklet: Improving environments for people with dementia and sight loss
Details: This leaflet is aimed at anyone who supports someone with dementia and provides information and advice on how to adapt the environment to assist someone with a sight problem.
Link: http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=462&sc=33&id=264&it=2&l=3

The leaflets are only £1 and £1.25 and are full of helpful advice.

Hope that helps
Craig

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Nels, unbelievable timing of this thread for me personally and thanks everyone for thoughts and links .....

Such an obvious deterioration in mum's eyesight yesterday (but not today?) ... optician mentioned small cataract in January ...... yesterday mum mentioned seeing 'threads' .... (not TP ones!!!!! :) )

Optician said he didn't think there was cause for treatment four months ago .. nor even a need to prescribe different glasses ....... (I haven't a clue about all this stuff as you can tell) ... so will be ringing GP first thing tomoz for appointment and referral to most appropriate source of help .....

Will post if anything significnat crops up which may help others,

Good luck, Nels

Love Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Tender Face said:
yesterday mum mentioned seeing 'threads'
that is how floaters can look to the person who has them.

Good luck, eyes and teeth become major issues to diagnose and deal with when the person concerned has dementia.