Eyes closed whilst still awake

JayG

Nov 22, 2015
I too am new here. My Mother has Dementia and visiting her yesterday I saw for the first time my mother keeping her eyes closed while awake. I asked her why she has her eyes closed and she just said that she likes it that way. Google search brought me here where I see this is a common symptom to dementia. I am happy to find this forum.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello JayG and welcome to Talking Point.

My husband spends long periods with his eyes closed whilst still awake. He is at the stage where he has to be fed and I can spend an hour feeding him his lunch and he never opens his eyes. He opens his mouth every time I touch his lips with the spoon. He also moves his arms about as if he is doing something and again his eyes are closed.

I am not sure why but I think sometimes he may struggle to understand what is going on around him so he shuts it out. Like your Mum he likes it better that way.

JayG

Nov 22, 2015
Thank you Jaymor for welcoming me and steering my 1st posting in the right direction.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My mother doesn't keep her eyes closed all the time, but I've noticed that she is starting to do that while I'm talking to her, or when she is replying. I didn't realise it's a common habit for people with dementia.

Thanks for drawing this to my attention, JayG. I am new here myself but people do seem very helpful, & I'm learning all the time - so welcome to the site! :)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Welcome Jay and Michelle - lots of support on here and always someone who gives a helping hand or a hug xx

I went on a course a while back and was told that this is quite common because it cuts out external stimuli which are sometimes just too difficult to cope with - you can't shut your ears off or move yourself away from touch but you can control whether or not you see things........just a theory but made sense to me and my Ma sometimes did it when there were lots of people around - just for a while to give herself a rest.

Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Sue used to have her eyes closed a lot. Since she had the first fit she dozes more, with her eyes closed of course, but now when she is awake her eyes are open more often. I've more or less given up trying to make sense of such things.