Eye Site

wendy43uk

Dec 22, 2005
sheffield
hi Johns eyes dont seem to be working hes not blind but he cant see things in front if him a large dog he cant find it unless I point it out when sitting down he cant see the chair lots of things we have to guide him around the house wich is hard on him as well as me is this just a stage that happenes to all its 3 years ago this week we was told he hads Alzheimers hes 61 years old please give advise if uou can i feel so alone even though i do have some help wendy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Wendy,

I`m sorry John isn`t registering what he sees. I know just what you mean, my husband is going the same way.
It`s not that he can`t see, I think it`s that he doesn`t notice.
My husband said his brain is like a fog and there`s a net curtain over his eyes.
Is John better some times than he is at other times? My husband is. When he`s more confused he sees or notices less than when he seems a bit brighter.
Have his eyes been tested recently? Is it possible he has developed cataracts?

I`m sorry I can`t be of more help. I know how hard it is to cope.

Take care, Sylvia x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Wendy, this is so hard isn't it. Lionel has been like this for a long time.

It definitly is not vision impaired, more the brain not sending the right messages.
Lionel is much worse as the day progresses.

This does not help , but thinking of you anyway.

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
ive noticed this to

Hello,I have also noticed this with my wife,she seems to be looking straight at you but cannot see me,as in the other replys it must be the brain not reconising the image but she comes round after a few moms..

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Jean is still able to identify things but her sense of smell seems to have gone. The local farmer has been spraying his field with some evil smelling stuff that takes the breath away but Jean tells me that she cannot smell it.

Maybe I am asking her if she can smell something and she does not understand what the word "smell" means. Perhaps she is unable to make the connection between the word smell and something that takes place in the nose.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
My wife now has cataracts.
Two years ago the sight test showed focusing was the problem,sight was alright,but the part of the brain controlling focus was too blame.
With the cataracts her vision is now more impaired.
The advice at the moment is avoid an operation.
How much more must she have to suffer?
Norman

Irish_Lisa

Feb 24, 2007
N.Ireland
My grandad has similar moments, although maybe not so severe. We'd point something out to him (like a rabbit in the garden) and he'd not see it no matter how well we directed his line of sight. Then 10 minutes later he'd seen a toy dog and think it were a real one. My heart goes out to you and I'm thinking of you. xxx

wendy43uk

Dec 22, 2005
sheffield
thankuou all for your kind thoughts john had his eyes tested in jan no change said the optician . john comming home tommow from 2 weeks in rest bite so i feel better for the rest and ready to care for him again i do find it hard its not what i expected in life i feel cheated but i carry on caring wendy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Wendy,
It must be a relief there`s no change in John`s eyes, but still must hurt for you to know he doesn`t know what he sees.
I`m glad you had a couple of weeks respite. You must be well rested.
I understand you feel cheated. We have all been cheated. We made plans for the future and they didn`t turn out. What can we do? We just have to accept. It`s no one`s fault, it`s just life.
Take care, with love