1. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Has anyone had experience of what seems to difficulty in focusing.
    Problems with sight and reading are known to me but this focusing is new.
    Norman

2. angela.robinson

angela.robinson Registered User

Dec 27, 2004
    hi norman
    JIM has great difficulties in focusing ,this was the very first problem he had ,i was told it was the message from brain to sight ,and not to be confused with eyesight ,you would think he was going blind ,but when he was capable of having an eye test ,there was never much deterioration.ANGELA

3. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Angela
    you are right.
    I have made an appointment for Peg with the optician.
    I think I have found a good one ,he seemed to have some knowledge of AD,also he knew of Aricept tablets.
    I suspect not eye sight trouble as such but caused by AD as you say,the optician also said this was maybe the cause.
    He said that he saw a lady recently with the same problem.
    Will keep you posted
    Norman

4. sara

sara Registered User

Feb 8, 2005
    Eyesight

Hello Norman
    One of the first things myself and my family noticed before mum was diagnosed was that she said her"eyes were bad today" and we always thought she didnt really have a problem with her eyes. Got her checked out and hospital optician signed her off as no further deterioration.Two years on and that is how we tell what sort of a day she is having she will say "am blind today cannot see a thing" then procede to see five pence piece on floor! think her brain is giving wrong signals.
    take care Sara

5. Sheila

Sheila Registered User

Oct 23, 2003
    West Sussex
    Hi all, got me thinking, we are starting to get that with MinL, said she couldn't see on Monday, then got Andy to remove a small leaf from her shoe so it wouldn't mark the carpet. Think you are right, love She. XX :)

6. Jude

Jude Registered User

Hi Norman,

My mother was complaining of having eye problems just before I left for Bali. I took her to the Optician who found that she actually had cateracts forming. Our Doctor advised for her not to have laser surgery due to the emotional trauma. We changed her glasses to light sensitive ones instead of normal prescription ones and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Jude xx

7. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    #7 Norman, Feb 28, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
    Took Peg for her appointment with the optician today.
    He was brilliant,kind patient and very helpful,clued up on AD.
    Peg was able to read some letters that I had trouble with with my glasses!!
    To sum up no eye problems as such but problems focusing caused by AD causing wrong signals from the brain.
    This was at 2.0PM and he explained that as Peg got tired towards evening the focusing problems would increase.
    Norman

ps :parked outside the optician's on double yellow lines,3 cheers for the blue badge!!!

8. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Norman

that's good news. We should make a directory of these people who understand AD! They are thin on the ground.

Best wishes

9. Sheila

Sheila Registered User

Oct 23, 2003
    West Sussex
    Dear Norm, well done you, nice to find being a carer actually put you at an advantage for a change! ;) Glad you had such an understanding optician, the one my Mum went to was good too. Do you think that being tired and having these sort of eye problems could be part of the reason for not recognising people they are close to sometimes. My Mum always seemed worse like that when she was tired come to think of it. Love She. XX