Eye operation tomorrow

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Patricia Alice
So sorry to hear of your experience this week, let's hope the MDT is swift and things move on quickly. It seems as though the anesthetist is more concerned about not being sued than about your mum's welfare.
I know this is a different kettle of fish and not so serious but I took Dad to the dentist not long ago and he needed a tooth extraction which the dentist wanted to do there and then. He asked me to sign the authorisation form which I did although I am only recorded by the dental practice as daughter and carer and not holder of POA. The dentist invited me in to the room while the procedure was carried out - this seems a far more sensible approach. There were still high risks for Dad who's been banned from taking warfarin and history of stroke etc.
I hope if dad finally decides to get his cataracts sorted that I am not faced with your predicament before it can be carried out.

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Hi Patricia Alice
So sorry to hear of your experience this week, let's hope the MDT is swift and things move on quickly. It seems as though the anesthetist is more concerned about not being sued than about your mum's welfare.
I know this is a different kettle of fish and not so serious but I took Dad to the dentist not long ago and he needed a tooth extraction which the dentist wanted to do there and then. He asked me to sign the authorisation form which I did although I am only recorded by the dental practice as daughter and carer and not holder of POA. The dentist invited me in to the room while the procedure was carried out - this seems a far more sensible approach. There were still high risks for Dad who's been banned from taking warfarin and history of stroke etc.
I hope if dad finally decides to get his cataracts sorted that I am not faced with your predicament before it can be carried out.

Hi Selinacroft,

It is a minefield, and yes, I think the anaesthetist was worried about being sued, which I suppose in this day and age with all the people that do this, she was just covering her back, which I totally understood. They promised me they would get the ball rolling to get all parties needed to attend from the NHS on board as quickly as possible. If I have not heard by the third week of Jan I WILL be contacting the hospital to see what is happening.

If your dad still has some capacity and understanding of what is happening it may be wise to seek POA, if not, I would think you will find yourself in the same boat as us.

I wish you luck. xx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
patricia I was thinking about you last night, as you do! My mum had a lot of eye trouble and if we had a period where we had to wait for the consultant (in the end we went miles from home to a brilliant surgeon in Surrey) I used to put an eye patch over her eye - it stopped excessive movement and that reduced the pain - it might be worth a try but I would be on the phone to them tomorrow and nag until you get another appointment - they can't leave her in that discomfort it makes any existing condition so much worse - stress, agitation and pain are just the worst.
Good luck , keep posting x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
patricia I was thinking about you last night, as you do! My mum had a lot of eye trouble and if we had a period where we had to wait for the consultant (in the end we went miles from home to a brilliant surgeon in Surrey) I used to put an eye patch over her eye - it stopped excessive movement and that reduced the pain - it might be worth a try but I would be on the phone to them tomorrow and nag until you get another appointment - they can't leave her in that discomfort it makes any existing condition so much worse - stress, agitation and pain are just the worst.
Good luck , keep posting x

Actually, in this case I dont think that covering the eye up will work as I think it likely that it will press the eyelashes down further onto the cornea.
PS - even if you cover the eye up it doesnt stop it moving as the eyes are "yoked" together and the eye under the cover moves with the uncovered eye.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Actually, in this case I dont think that covering the eye up will work as I think it likely that it will press the eyelashes down further onto the cornea.
PS - even if you cover the eye up it doesnt stop it moving as the eyes are "yoked" together and the eye under the cover moves with the uncovered eye.

oh ok, it worked for mum but you obviously have more technical knowledge than me - the eye patch that we had didn't go anywhere close to the eye lashes - consult seemed to think it was ok temporarily but I can only relate to us and our experience. Maybe it reduced the blinking or flickering I don't know I didn't ask I only know it helped reduce the pain :)

Last edited:

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Thank you Fizzie and Canary

The consultant told us to put micropore just under the bottom lash line to pull eye slightly away, worked in theory but due to the dementia she kept pulling it off saying something was stuck to her cheek.

I will be onto the hospital in the next few days, has not helped having Xmas and New Year in between, so I am giving them chance to contact me, but by next week I will be chomping at the bit to find out what is happening.

Thank you once again for all your helpful answers and support, I really do appreciate it.
XXXX

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
If I were you, I would phone the clinic tomorrow to see if you can get another appointment. You might as well try to get your mum as close to the top of the queue as possible.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree, no one gives the nhs time to recover lol - everyone will be phoning on the very first day possible and giving them a load of grief. Do tell anyone who will listen that your mum is in huge amount of pain and unable to function - lay it on as thick as you can. No politeness with the nhs, the next time you know all the doctors will be on strike and you'll have to wait weeks!