Extra virgin Coconut Oil

paulineanna

Oct 25, 2013
west Lancashire
I've read today on Facebook about Extra Virgin Coconut Oil being helpful for people with mild to medium Alzheimer's. Does anyone have any experience of this or is it just another myth?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I did give Pete coconut oil-it gave him an upset tummy:eek::( and a bad temper:eek: I gave it as a small dose to start with so I didn't even get the chance to advance to the recommended max dose.

Just my observations

Take care

Lyn T

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There are no substantiated results, although there are people who swear by it. Personally, I would need to see some proper testing. Apparently there is a U.S. study right now but of course it's going to take time to get results.

This topic has come up many times before on Talking Point and there have been many heated debates. Tracing it back, it goes to one woman who has been treating her husband with coconut oil for years and says he improved once she put him on coconut oil. However, she hasn't posted about his "progress" since 2011 so I can only assume that he has declined.

I am not averse to and completely understand people wanting to try whatever possible. Taking a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil a day cannot hurt, although one must be prudent, as coconut oil is a high saturated fat. What I object to is the almost religious mania on how it is a "cure". At this point in time, there is no information on this and to say so can only needlessly raise the hopes of those who are desperate and grasping at straws. Think of all those "cures" for cancer over the last few decades which have proven to be completely ineffective.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
There are no substantiated results, although there are people who swear by it. Personally, I would need to see some proper testing. Apparently there is a U.S. study right now but of course it's going to take time to get results.

This topic has come up many times before on Talking Point and there have been many heated debates. Tracing it back, it goes to one woman who has been treating her husband with coconut oil for years and says he improved once she put him on coconut oil. However, she hasn't posted about his "progress" since 2011 so I can only assume that he has declined.

I am not averse to and completely understand people wanting to try whatever possible. Taking a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil a day cannot hurt, although one must be prudent, as coconut oil is a high saturated fat. What I object to is the almost religious mania on how it is a "cure". At this point in time, there is no information on this and to say so can only needlessly raise the hopes of those who are desperate and grasping at straws. Think of all those "cures" for cancer over the last few decades which have proven to be completely ineffective.

Joanne I wish I could remember that woman's name because I'm sure there was a bit of a do about her OH dying-and she hadn't announced it at the time. Maybe I've got that wrong. I wonder if anyone else can remember.

Take care

Lyn T

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Her name is Dr. Mary Newport. Some are very impressed by the fact she is a doctor but she is not a neurologist or geriatrician, she's a pediatrician. Also, being emotionally involved, as it's her spouse, would make her opinions not as concrete, I think.

Did he die? I really was wondering about that, as he was diagnosed in 2001. Quite honestly, I can see her not announcing it. Not for malicious reasons but for emotional reasons. She would have had to say she was wrong and he wasn't cured.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I did give Pete coconut oil-it gave him an upset tummy:eek::( and a bad temper:eek: I gave it as a small dose to start with so I didn't even get the chance to advance to the recommended max dose.

Just my observations

Take care

Lyn T

I tried giving it to Bill and thought he didn't mind it until I found he had poured it out at the side of the chair when my back was turned!:D

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I bought two tubs. Then discovered coconut oil is not liquid at room temperature, it's more like margarine. So unless you keep it in a hot place, you can't add it to salads as I had planned. You can use it for cooking instead of olive oil or whichever oil you're normally using but I have found I don't even like the taste that much. We haven't used it enough to make a judgement on results!

paulineanna

Oct 25, 2013
west Lancashire

Thanks for your opinions, my thoughts are the same but just thought it was worth asking the question to see if there was any positive responses.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, I've used it for my dry feet. Coconut oil has lots of uses, but I bought it for OH so feel a bit guilty using it for the skin!