Extra help for my dad

Motherofboys

Feb 10, 2015
Hello,

My dad has had Alzheimer's for about 4 years, but in the last year he has deteriorated.

He lives in a different city to me with my step mother. I try to visit as much as I can, but I live about 60 miles away and have 3 children to care for so its not easy.

I feel my Step mum could benefit from some extra support to allow her to have a bit of time away every week, in the knowledge he would be safe.

We've never been given much support, we just visit the memory clinic once a year where he is reassessed, does anyone know if he is entitled to any help? I did ask his nurse a year ago now for him to have someone to visit him, she said he would be put on a waiting list but we've never heard anything.

Does anyone know if we can get any help?

Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Four years without any help? Oh my god. Firstly your dad is entitled to Attendance Allowance (not means tested) and council tax reduction due to severe mental impairment, and your stepmom to Carers Allowance if she doesn't earn more than £100 a week. Get in touch with your local Alzheimer's Society, Age UK and Carers Centre who can help with filling in forms, making benefits checks and have social coffee clubs etc. you should also urgently get power of attorney sorted out. Give social services a call for a needs assessment, they can pinpoint more help like day centre, sitting service, carer visits, respite, telecare.... You could also ask for an OT assessment for adaptations that could be made around the house like grab rails etc. if you don't ask you don't get and in some boroughs you have to shout very loudly to be heard, but support is out there. Good luck.

Motherofboys

Feb 10, 2015
Four years without any help? Oh my god. Firstly your dad is entitled to Attendance Allowance (not means tested) and council tax reduction due to severe mental impairment, and your stepmom to Carers Allowance if she doesn't earn more than £100 a week. Get in touch with your local Alzheimer's Society, Age UK and Carers Centre who can help with filling in forms, making benefits checks and have social coffee clubs etc. you should also urgently get power of attorney sorted out. Give social services a call for a needs assessment, they can pinpoint more help like day centre, sitting service, carer visits, respite, telecare.... You could also ask for an OT assessment for adaptations that could be made around the house like grab rails etc. if you don't ask you don't get and in some boroughs you have to shout very loudly to be heard, but support is out there. Good luck.

Thanks for replying, yes I've sorted all the forms for power of attorney, and he's had a few falls I recently arranged for an assessment from the falls clinic who came out and assessed the house and fitted a few grap rails and gave advice. They were great. My step mum has also filled in forms to claim those benefits. It's the help on a daily basis we need, so I will call social services and see, I just wasn't sure who to turn to, but that's very helpful. Thank you.