1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Courageous

Courageous Registered User

Jun 1, 2015
    Spalding Lincolnshire
    My mum who is 74 and has Alzheimer's diagnosed a few years ago is cared for by her husband, he's in his early ninetys. He is fit for his age and he does a grand job. A weekly cleaner, weekly hairdresser, gardener and me constructively grocery shopping for easy prep food.... And my sisters making monthly visits , has enabled them to remain at home. They even have a 90 year old lady take them out each week in her car, and another friend who takes them to lunch once a week.
    I really worry about what would happen if he didn't appear at her bedside one morning with a cup of tea. Mum can't use the phone or even unlock doors by herself to raise the alarm. Do I install cctv ? !!!! It's difficult to ask him to phone us each morning to say alls, and to be honest I feel like it would be An intrusion. How else can I tell if he's up and about ? Any ideas ?? Thanks