Extra care

Lisa69uk

Feb 7, 2019
Hi, sorry I've not posted much. Was trying to think of a way to help my mum between care visits and a good friend that knows her. She offered to go to my mum's most days and sit with her, feed and amuse her. She is 66 so unable to go for longer than 4 hours per day . Anyway we thought she could claim an allowance but it looks like she has to do minimum of 35 hours to collect £57 weekly .I've suggested to my brother what if we pay her from my mum's account so care team still go and everyone is happy but it's not the greatest idea. Anyone know if that 35 hours is set in stone and will they cancel care team of she is my mum's carer? My mum isn't self finding

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
According to https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility it has to be 35 hours care to qualify for carers allowance, had to look it up as I forgot. I get it and we have carers in twice a day for about an hour in total, so that does not affect it.
There is a link on that page to carers credit, which I don't know much about, so https://www.gov.uk/carers-credit may be worth a look as it sets 20 hours as the minimum. A carers support centre or Age UK may be your best bet for advice on that.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
The time caring doesn’t have to be spent with the caree. Things like travelling and shopping count too I think. Even planning what to do counts towards hours spent caring so fetching magazines, organising photographs to share so your friend will probably find that if she is spending 4 hours a day with your mum she’s probably doing 35 hours or more.

It’s amazing how much time “caring” takes up from ones life even when not with the person.

Lisa69uk

Feb 7, 2019
Thank you .We have resolved the issue now but wasn't easy. Me and my brother are paying my friend. She would probably do it for nothing but she is in her 60s with a mortgage still to pay so help each other

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
How about Attendance Allowance? If your Mum qualified for that you could gift your friend from it. If you are “paying” her would she have to declare it for Income Tax? You might need to be careful there.