extra care waiting list but MIL wants CH

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
Hi just wondering if anyone has any experince of this. and what to do, if anything......scenario is: LA funded person who has no help at home, lives with us has been assessed as extra care and about £20000 worth of assessed care to kick in whben she moves, doesn't need of help at night usually. Wanting a CH which SW said no to but is really keen and is worried about extra care and it being more independent than living with us.

Who when first seen by SW in Oct said no (on the day in 10 mins to CH) now due to old dears mentioning one opposite her church sheis telling all and sundry that is where she is going etc ...can't wait etc. but it is either of 2 extra care places about 4miles from church which she hasnt said no to but have yet to see the places as full at present , MIL is 91.

Is it worth raising with SW as she has no night needs.... yet (mixed dementia)? Should we put MIL down on a waiting list for CH , in case needed in future?

complicationis that Mil has lived with us in our LA for 20months prior to that for 41years in a neighbouring LA assessed by our LA SW. ... extra care comes under housing so is a good choice for ourLA. as all will fall on original LA , I belive

Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As long as there's no cost implication (like a none returnable deposit) at the care home I'd put her name down now. If they did say a place had become available you could just apologise say the timing isn't right for you and the next person on the list gets the place, it must happen quite regularly.
As for which LA pays that's set out in sections 39 & 40 of the 2104 care act (link below).
It's a fairly dreary read but the fact section 40 about disputes exists seems to suggest they're expecting some. Ultimately it's not your problem. I would guess the LA where she is (with you) would have to pay initially if I'm reading section 39 correctly then if they want try and get in back from the previous LA she was living in, but that's for them to sort out between themselves.
K

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/23/section/39/enacted

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
Thanks for the advice, will put her name down tomorrow.

SW will say she doesn't need CH so not getting one, in this instance its a pity we or MIL were not self funding..... at the back of our minds is when wxtra care eventually happens she will be assessed as unsuitable:rolleyes:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is in extra care and thinks it's a fancy care home where you get your own flat, she joins in lots of activities, everything except for bingo, but then she didn't like that pre dementia.

Not a good way to go about it, but it may be worth a try as if it fails they will have to put her in CH.

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
We are okayish with extracare but struggling waiting for a placement to eventually become available to say the least just worried when one comes up MIL will not want it as not opposite her beloved church or she will fail the assessment and the wait will be longer to find her a home.... we are overcrowded with teenage children sitting exams and MIL is unsafe alone in the home when we are at work, just had enough now