EXTENDED LOCKDOWN

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello to everyone! I found out at the weekend that mum has covid. She's ok in herself but it is worrying. The carer I spoke to said that she is isolating in her room!? I wonder how on earth they keep my mum in her room? They can't keep her as a prisioner.... Also been told that the date has been extended for lockdown as a few more of the staff have covid. Mum keeps asking why I have'nt been to visit. It's hard I have'nt seen her since before Christmas. Is anyone else having similar issues? Feeling really down about the whole situation .....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sure there are many in your position @Roman223

I do think people with dementia ah=nd their carers have suffered greatly during covid especially as it`s gone on for so long.

I`m not surprised you`re feeling down. Anyone would.

I do hope the latest guidelines about all of us having to learn to live with dementia will help carers have more frequent access to their people in care homes.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Mum is currently in 2 weeks respite care in a local care home. We told them we intended to visit last Tuesday (the home mum is in have relatives “booking” to visit residents, so they knew we were coming). but while mucking about on Facebook on Monday, I found the home’s Facebook page…..they are in lockdown!

We contacted the home and yep, sure enough, the home is closed to visits. No one from the home told us and when we queried why they just said “well obviously you know, that’s why you’re ringing us isn’t it?” Totally missing the point that the home should be communicating with relatives, shouldn’t they? Especially relatives who had booked a visit the next day!

Mum apparently has no idea of the situation and we can’t tell her as we can’t visit and cant speak to her on the phone, don’t know why.

I dread to think of mum being confined to her room. I can’t wait to get her home.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A friend’s 93 year old mum has been in care in an excellent home and for ages she wasn’t allowed visitors.

However, many staff either have COVID, are isolating or have left the industry because of working conditions in the current environment . My friend got a call on Monday requesting that if any family can help out, they would be welcome for a few hours providing they complied with all the regulations.

My friend says that even though it’s a desperate move, she is happy to help and spend time with her mum. There is a lovely garden there so while the weather is nice, she has been able to her mum outside for an hour.

It is just so dreadful that it has come to this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
To anyone unable to visit - try sending picture postcards, flowers and/or gifts so that they know they havent been abandoned

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Cazcaz, I only found out from my mother’s home that she had Covid when my sister in law phoned to arrange a visit. The person she spoke to was insistant I had been told, when of course I hadn’t. When I phoned up to check, the home wouldn’t tell SIL how she was, they had realised their mistake and were very contrite. I cut them some slack as they are battling Covid and understaffed.
Mum is still fine, but I still haven’t managed to see mum since before Christmas as they keep on having cases.
It’s a total pain, but I can understand where homes are coming from. It’ll be interesting to see what happens now that restrictions are going to be lifted.

SewHappy

Feb 3, 2019
I've had the same problem with a Covid lock down at mum's home. They're doing their best but we keep launching from one lock down to another.

I have been offered essential care giver status which means I can visit even during a lockdown. I have to follow their staff testing regime. PCR (they provide a do at home kit) once a week and lateral flow three times a week. All results recorded to the organisation's unique recording number.

I won't be doing any care just socially distanced full PPE visit but at least I can see mum.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Mum is currently in 2 weeks respite care in a local care home. We told them we intended to visit last Tuesday (the home mum is in have relatives “booking” to visit residents, so they knew we were coming). but while mucking about on Facebook on Monday, I found the home’s Facebook page…..they are in lockdown!

We contacted the home and yep, sure enough, the home is closed to visits. No one from the home told us and when we queried why they just said “well obviously you know, that’s why you’re ringing us isn’t it?” Totally missing the point that the home should be communicating with relatives, shouldn’t they? Especially relatives who had booked a visit the next day!

Mum apparently has no idea of the situation and we can’t tell her as we can’t visit and cant speak to her on the phone, don’t know why.

I dread to think of mum being confined to her room. I can’t wait to get her home.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello Cazcaz it is very strange that you are not able to speak to your mum. I would contact the home again and ask to speak to her. There should not be a reason why you are not able to speak to her over the phone. The Care home where my mum is did notify me by email that they were in lockdown so they should have made an effort to contact you either way. Maybe send a strong email to the manager stating everything you have said. Hope that helps.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I've had the same problem with a Covid lock down at mum's home. They're doing their best but we keep launching from one lock down to another.

I have been offered essential care giver status which means I can visit even during a lockdown. I have to follow their staff testing regime. PCR (they provide a do at home kit) once a week and lateral flow three times a week. All results recorded to the organisation's unique recording number.

I won't be doing any care just socially distanced full PPE visit but at least I can see mum.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I also have ECG status for my mother but cannot visit her at the moment as she is one of the residents who has tested positive - the guidelines state that ECG’s cannot visit relatives with Covid. I think she has to have two negative tests before I can go inside again.

There is a serious outbreak at the care home now, numbers testing positive has increased from five last Friday to more than twenty yesterday and the lockdown has been extended to 29th Jan. I am getting a daily phone call with update on how mum is, still not showing any symptoms which is reassuring as mum is not vaccinated - she has refused seven attempts to give her one so far!

It’s tough on the staff but not surprising that it’s spread so quickly as all residents have dementia, many are mobile and it’s impossible to keep them in isolation. The carers must be run ragged!

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hello to everyone! I found out at the weekend that mum has covid. She's ok in herself but it is worrying. The carer I spoke to said that she is isolating in her room!? I wonder how on earth they keep my mum in her room? They can't keep her as a prisioner.... Also been told that the date has been extended for lockdown as a few more of the staff have covid. Mum keeps asking why I have'nt been to visit. It's hard I have'nt seen her since before Christmas. Is anyone else having similar issues? Feeling really down about the whole situation .....
Hi @Roman223 ,

Yes, my mum's home has been in lockdown since before Christmas and she just came out of 2 weeks isolation due to getting covid. Thankfully, health wise, she sailed through as if there was nothing. Mentally, however.....well not pretty, to say the least. But she hadn't really settled before then and the home and I are trying our hardest to get her seen by mental health and get some long needed meds.

You might find they let your mum have a little wander about when other residents are in their rooms, or try to get her some fresh air, safely. You might also find calling more often or doing video calls helps you both. I hope she's doing OK and if you can do Essential Carer, you don't actually have to do anything more than visit her (plus testing, of course) - the homes know how important keeping contact is for well being.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
I also have ECG status for my mother but cannot visit her at the moment as she is one of the residents who has tested positive - the guidelines state that ECG’s cannot visit relatives with Covid. I think she has to have two negative tests before I can go inside again.

There is a serious outbreak at the care home now, numbers testing positive has increased from five last Friday to more than twenty yesterday and the lockdown has been extended to 29th Jan. I am getting a daily phone call with update on how mum is, still not showing any symptoms which is reassuring as mum is not vaccinated - she has refused seven attempts to give her one so far!

It’s tough on the staff but not surprising that it’s spread so quickly as all residents have dementia, many are mobile and it’s impossible to keep them in isolation. The carers must be run ragged!
I honestly don't know how the staff haven't ended up rocking and sobbing in a corner. I've certainly felt close to it the last few weeks! Mum can test the patience of a hundred saints! They really are amazing people.